TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Katy12345

Jan 25, 2024
@Jessica Booker I would love your advice! I have worked at a big 4 company in consulting for 2 years but I always wanted to pursue law, do you think applying to direct TC is an option (by that I mean a realistic one)? I am nearly a senior consultant and have gained great experience that is transferable for law as well as the fact my client has been an international law firm for the past year and I have done law work experience in the past (a week in first year uni and some first year schemes), I am reluctant to do a VS as I cannot really take that much time off work at once but was wondering if 2 years at the big 4 was good enough?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know the average number of ACs people get to each year and how many lead to VSs and then how many VSs tend to lead to TCs or is there just not enough data to see this anywhere?
Unfortunately these figures do not exist because there are far too many variables.

I personally would try not to focus or concern yourself about these details - they are ultimately not useful in your pursuit of the career.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I would love your advice! I have worked at a big 4 company in consulting for 2 years but I always wanted to pursue law, do you think applying to direct TC is an option (by that I mean a realistic one)? I am nearly a senior consultant and have gained great experience that is transferable for law as well as the fact my client has been an international law firm for the past year and I have done law work experience in the past (a week in first year uni and some first year schemes), I am reluctant to do a VS as I cannot really take that much time off work at once but was wondering if 2 years at the big 4 was good enough?
Taking the time off work may also be very difficult due to conflict checks.

Yes - I would recommend applying to direct TCs in your situation. It would only be if a firm recruits exclusively from vacation schemes that this would not be appropriate route for you.

I would potentially look at trying to engage with firms via insight days, virtual programmes or careers events to build your network back into law given it’s been a while since your last legal experience.

Ultimately two years at a Big 4 firm will show a lot of great evidence and should be enough work experience for the vast majority of firms (a small number of firms say you need a certain level of legal work experience to apply), and if that is combined with a strong written application with clear motivations for a legal career, then this is likely to be good enough for some firms.

You may want to look out for career changer events too - the Law Society usually runs one each year which can be a good way to reconnect with law firms interested in hiring career changers.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.