TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

thenublawyer

Star Member
Nov 18, 2023
Does anyone know how many words are expected if I am given 30 minutes for a written exercise
I don't think they expect candidates to write a certain number of words? Especially in cases where the written exercise involves client communication, what they are looking out for (I think) is the ability to communicate in a clear and succinct manner.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Is the OC virtual AC the last stage or no?
    It's actually insane that it isn't lol. I think this is the longest process I've seen. App (5 questions) then verbal reasoning then virtual AC and finally in-person AC. Not even MC or US firms have this :'( (I'll still go through it all for a TC though lol)

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    i don't know if it's just me being weird but does anyone feel like they're self-sabotaging themselves sometimes 😭 it might honestly be imposter syndrome, but sometimes I'm just like.. why bother putting this much time into an application/answering well in VIs, because I just know someone is going to be better than me anyway. I know that's obviously not a good thing to do but I just can't help feeling like I've wasted so much time even though this is only my first cycle and I have so much time to improve

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    i don't know if it's just me being weird but does anyone feel like they're self-sabotaging themselves sometimes 😭 it might honestly be imposter syndrome, but sometimes I'm just like.. why bother putting this much time into an application/answering well in VIs, because I just know someone is going to be better than me anyway. I know that's obviously not a good thing to do but I just can't help feeling like I've wasted so much time even though this is only my first cycle and I have so much time to improve
    honestly this is a v common feeling (we all get this when we kind of hit that stagnant/ waiting back period), this process itself is unfortunately incredible competitive and in that same vein, it is incredibly draining!

as its your first cycle, youre bound to feel like that but honestly even getting to a VI stage means youre good in what you have to say and at that point, its jus a matter of substantiating it! already at that stage, youre outcompeting THOUSANDS

youre doing great, its important to have other outlets where u dont jus completely get bogged down by the app cycle and have other things going on in ur life to jus proactively redirect your attention once youre feeling like this.

remember its not a race, its a marathon, youre bound to be hit by these feelings of imposter syndrome/ not being good enough and as supportive and incredible as this forum is, your own mindset and confidence will get you through these periods of thinking. so take a break, reset, remind yourself why youre doing this and remember you have experience, you have the attributes, you have the drive, so if theyre gonna give someone a tc, why on earth cant it be you

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    It's actually insane that it isn't lol. I think this is the longest process I've seen. App (5 questions) then verbal reasoning then virtual AC and finally in-person AC. Not even MC or US firms have this :'( (I'll still go through it all for a TC though lol)
    Exactly!! Yesterday I was shocked to find out that this is not the last stage ahaha like how many interviews and tests do I have to go through for a week or two work experience lol

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    honestly this is a v common feeling (we all get this when we kind of hit that stagnant/ waiting back period), this process itself is unfortunately incredible competitive and in that same vein, it is incredibly draining! as its your first cycle, youre bound to feel like that but honestly even getting to a VI stage means youre good in what you have to say and at that point, its jus a matter of substantiating it! youre doing great, its important to have other outlets where u dont jus completely get bogged down by the app cycle and have other things going on in ur life to jus proactively redirect your attention once youre feeling like this.

remember its not a race, its a marathon, youre bound to be hit by these feelings of imposter syndrome/ not being good enough and as supportive and incredible as this forum is, your own mindset and confidence will get you through these periods of thinking. so take a break, reset, remind yourself why youre doing this and remember if theyre gonna give someone a tc, why on earth cant it be you
    this honestly made me tear up a little.. thank you 🫶

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    this honestly made me tear up a little.. thank you 🫶
    nooo, fr dont worry youre genuinely doing great, getting to VI itself in ur first cycle, its a massive win, because against other people who are still trying to figure out how to write effectively, you already have a foot ahead! so dont sell yourself short, it took me literally 2 app cycles to even get thru VI stage and then another to get to an AC

everyones journey is never gonna be the same, never linear, going on LinkedIn and seeing those 'im happy to announce' won't show and capture the countless rejections, countless fallbacks and countless feelings of imposter syndrome that they also have gone thru. this whole process is a massive learning curve and u come back stronger and stronger each time fr

SO KEEP UR HEAD UP, as we all repeat on this forum, it takes one YES, only one yes that will make this all worth it

Giorgos

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 5, 2023
    When listing the academics do I need to put all my grades at GCSE level? I did IB so the equivalent of GCSE is Pre IB which is different and contains around 18 subjects and I am not sure if I need to include all of the subjects or just some indicative.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.