TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ChasingTCS

Oct 4, 2023
Hello guys! can anyone explain what this means 'Please note that you have 3 days to complete your interview from the time you click on the email link on AllHires’. They have not given a particular deadline or anything.

Lawgirl97

Oct 24, 2023
Anyone know what the dwf vi deadline is?? It says three days from opening the link but what if I don't open link....
Omg same question! Also if anyone has done the VI before please help a sister out! This is the first time I have ever posted on this forum because I just finally got to the second round of an app for the first time ever. Please any help would be amazing!!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: ChasingTCS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello guys! can anyone explain what this means 'Please note that you have 3 days to complete your interview from the time you click on the email link on AllHires’. They have not given a particular deadline or anything.
I would just take it that the only deadline is from when you access the link. I would try to do the interview in the next week though if you can.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am drafting an answer for a vacation scheme, I am describing a challenging situation and I need to explain what I did. I want to talk about my past experience of volunteering for an LGBTQIA charity in my home country. Among our many services, we also provided workshops for safe s*x, we had doctors coming in and also a safe space to talk. Am I allowed to talk about how our funds got cut and how I found alternative ways to promote safe s*x such as distributing items outside gay nightclubs and directing people to a local health-free clinic? Is it impolite to talk about such an unconventional topic? Sorry, I am just worried that it will be too much.

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
Jan 24, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wondered if you had any tips please on answering the question “who are our competitors”, I’m finding it difficult to know which firms to mention but I know it should probably be those with similar areas of law and sectors. I am applying to a regional office so should I just mention law firms with an office in that location?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am drafting an answer for a vacation scheme, I am describing a challenging situation and I need to explain what I did. I want to talk about my past experience of volunteering for an LGBTQIA charity in my home country. Among our many services, we also provided workshops for safe s*x, we had doctors coming in and also a safe space to talk. Am I allowed to talk about how our funds got cut and how I found alternative ways to promote safe s*x such as distributing items outside gay nightclubs and directing people to a local health-free clinic? Is it impolite to talk about such an unconventional topic? Sorry, I am just worried that it will be too much.
Not a problem at all to talk about this topic.

One of my early interviews for a law firm I talked about being a condom fairy at university, and that was a very long time ago when things were a lot more traditional, and it really wasn’t an issue back then!

If you want to extra cautious though, just focus more on what you did rather than the topic.

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wondered if you had any tips please on answering the question “who are our competitors”, I’m finding it difficult to know which firms to mention but I know it should probably be those with similar areas of law and sectors. I am applying to a regional office so should I just mention law firms with an office in that location?

Thank you!
I wouldn’t just mention firms with a location to the one you are applying to - it will need to be a bit more refined than that.

Firstly, work out how you are going to categorise them as competitors - there are many different measures you could use (location being one), but you could look at other factors like client base, sector expertise, practice areas, who they lose talent to (eg have any partners jumped ship either to or from this firm), revenue. Some of those categories can also be defined themselves, one competitor in one practice area might be different to another.

So defining how you have considered who is a competitor creates structure to your answer and makes your analysis clear.

Then select a small number 2-4 firms max that meet the criteria you have set.

Reactions: axelbeugre

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Not a problem at all to talk about this topic.

One of my early interviews for a law firm I talked about being a condom fairy at university, and that was a very long time ago when things were a lot more traditional, and it really wasn’t an issue back then!

If you want to extra cautious though, just focus more on what you did rather than the topic.
Thank you so much for your help @Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre - Hi Axel, I was wondering if you knew who Shearman's biggest competitors are? Shall I break this question into 3, to answer who are the biggest competitors according to M&A, Finance, Project Development and Finance?
I looked it up and these are some of the firms that came out: Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, Fried Frank Harris, Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP and Linklaters. I think you can keep it general without necessarily going deeper into the different practice areas.

Reactions: TCLA Moderator

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.