TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Thanks for the advice! The insight week was with the same firm where I did the vac scheme. I was fast-tracked to the AC due to my strong performance during the insight week. Following the exit interview, I was told that I lacked confidence when presented with complex questions and that my commercial awareness could be stronger. That was the only negative feedback that I received; the remaining feedback from my supervisor and group tasks was was all positive.
    Commercial awareness is obviously a big thing, but that is easy to rectify. Read more, but also try and utilise any contacts you made at the firm. Is there anyone you could message and ask for a coffee to discuss commercial issues, not only so you get the knowledge but also just become used to talking about that stuff, especially with people who are more knowledgeable? I'm guessing it's not stuff you usually talk about outside of the application process and a formal interview. I find that my confidence massively hinges on how knowledgeable I am on whatever is being discussed; perhaps you're the same. In terms of the complex questions, is there any way you could practice these with friends who are in a similar situation?

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    To anyone who has applied/is applying to Orrick.

What did you put in your cover letter?

I have answered the other questions, I'm just at a loss with what to do with my cover letter. I have two skeletons and both don't feel right...

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    For a 300-word 'personal statement' - what should be included? It doesn't feel like enough space to cover all three: 'Why law', 'Why this firm', 'Why you'
    What are the other questions on the app?
    If there's already 'why the firm' and it's phrased as personal statement and not cover letter I feel like it gives q good scope to speak about ur motivations for law and what you bring to the table. It's always difficult when there's cover letter type sections on an app + multiple application questions because it's not always clear what they expect you to write - have had this problem too!

Reactions: AlCapone

aspiringcatsolicitor

Jun 19, 2023
    Can anyone please confirm that the Shoosmiths Discover vacation scheme and training contract deadline is on the 4th February 2024? I’m seeing this day but also today (31st) so I’m slightly worried @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

I would assume it's the 4th because that's the date on the allhires application page. I would recommend reaching out to the firm to confirm!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.