Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How can I perhaps best answer these questions:

1.What will you offer us at ** - why should we hire what you have to offer?
2. How will you contribute to our business to make the most of the opportunity a TC offers?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
Application or interview questions?

• 🤝
Reactions: Sunshinepink

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For those who have completed other vac schemes having already signed a TC, was it very clear in your contract whether you were able to do vac schemes or not?
a lot of firms won’t have this term in the offer as they won’t feel it is enforceable (where you are not employed with them until you start your TC).

Other firms will put it in as a deterrent though so they try to retain the offered talent.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I know I’ve practically taken over this forum today but quick question for a panicking human 😂😂

I’ve just recorded myself answering “why do you want to work for x firm”

It came up to 6mins 10 seconds.

Would this come across as me yapping on? How long should you spend answering a question?
If I smile and console the poor partner that I’m nearly finished talking would that make it better? 😭
Would my answer to “why do you want to be a commercial lawyer” be short than the former

I watched it back and I thought I did a pretty good job would offered myself the TC tbh…
I think it really depends on the interview and who is interviewing you and if your answer catches your interviewers' attention. For these reasons it is quite difficult to tell how many minutes you should dedicate to an answer.

What I recommend is always follow the vibe of the interview and of your interviewers, if you feel like they are quite interested in what you are saying I would keep talking, if not, then find a way to stop yourself and wait for them to ask you more questions on what you are saying.

6 minutes seems like a long time for an answer but then again we are not listening to you in real life, it might be that you are so engaging that it is a pleasure to listen to you and what you have to say.

As a standard rule, I would say to stick to the 3 minutes rule so that you will never be wrong and let them ask you more questions if they are interested in what you are saying/describing or talking about. I think this should make you feel a little more tranquil when you answer because you know you are not talking too much or too little, and if interested, they can ask you more questions.

Personally, I feel like I used to take 3,5 to 5,5 minutes for the why law section and I always followed the sensation the interviewers were giving me and it always worked out for me.

Good luck with your interviews !!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
A firm has two questions: Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? AND What has attracted you to the firm?

I am just really confused about what the difference between both questions is and the best way to approach it. I would love some advice for it!
  1. I think that the first question asks you to talk about the specific reasons you have to wanting to join the scheme and I would highlight things like getting to know the firm better, being able to speak to lawyers working at the firm, being exposed to the practice areas the firm excels at and things of that nature
  2. the second question asks you the reasons why you want to join the firm and here I would highlight the international aspect of the firm (if it is key to the firm though), a practice area you would want to explore, a deal or a case has worked on that you find interesting and that resonates with your past experiences. Additionally, you could also talk about pro bono opportunities the firm provides or the position of the firm in the industry.
I hope this helped and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When completing a VI, should I look at the camera or screen? I don't seem to pass any of my VIs!
I think I got a suggestion last year to always look at the camera so I would say that.

I would not feel too bad, video interviews are very hard to pass and it is difficult to understand why you do not get through them.

there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
"Why do you think Fox Williams is a good fit for your legal career? Please describe how your skills and interests align with any of our core sectors. 250 max" When discussing my skills, how detailed shall I be? Should I use the STAR technique or just briefly outline my skills?
As detailed as it is required of you here. I think that here it would be good to mention a couple of skills and interests so you cannot go too deep into the description of those otherwise you lose words. What I would do is mentioning a skill, for instance attention to detail, describe briefly an internship where you developed or improved this skills, and link it back to the firm highlighting how this skill will allow you to look over and check important documents like contracts for clients and spotting mistakes very easily.

I think this approach will allow you to answer the question exhaustively and to appear as an interesting candidate to the reader, and you are able to differentiate yourself from others as your experiences are what will set you apart.

I hope this helps and good luck with the applications!

Reactions: Cherikon

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I think I got a suggestion last year to always look at the camera so I would say that.

I would not feel too bad, video interviews are very hard to pass and it is difficult to understand why you do not get through them.

there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491
    Is it okay to have notes somewhere, maybe sticky notes along the top of the laptop or is there a better way? Just so I remember to hit key points :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.