TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legallyells

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 23, 2023
I personally think you cannot prepare much for these exercises - they are purposely designed so that you shouldn’t need to as otherwise individual people in the group would have a direct advantage.

Just go in with an open mindset, be flexible or adaptable in your approach to the task, contribute your thinking, even if it is through supporting or challenging others’ ideas, use any evidence to back up your thinking, bring in others to support your thinkin, bring in quieter members of the group when you can (they may have information that could be useful or your discussion), keep an eye on the time (it will go far too quickly), kee the tasks objectives in mind, and try to take some form of role if you can (time keeper, notetaker, brief reader, facilitator).
thank you SO much @Jessica Booker , this is really helpful!

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
What websites and resources do you use to research firm deals other than their own website? I find the firm's website gives very little detail, but I'm struggling to research firm deals in any other way
If one of the parties is a public company, you can go on their investor relations page and there's usually a press release/document explaining the rationale behind the deal

If it's a high value / otherwise significant transaction then the business press may also write about it

Reactions: addy2004

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So grad rec do use applicants diversity data as part of the selection process?
No - this information is protected and only accessible from a reporting across candidates basis. They will monitor general application levels from diverse groups though and then try to supplement this with targeted advertising or marketing to attract more diverse applicants.

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
I don’t think only talking about 1 sector is a bad thing, especially given the answer is only 250 words and there are multiple questions you have to answer within it. Just be mindful that employment law may not be considered a sector (sectors are usually groups of industries), it may be more of a practice area.
Thank you 😊 I have discussed the prof services sector so hopefully that will be ok

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just read back a timed written assessment I did for a firm and had two spelling mistakes and a grammatical error. Will this impact my score massively? @Jessica Booker
It won’t massively impact your score as it’s likely there are going to be multiple aspects assessed within the exercise. They are likely to knock some points off but those could be made up elsewhere.

Reactions: s2203

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    In a group chat, someone was asking if it would be considered unprofessional to turn down a training contract offer after completing a vacation scheme at one firm, because they want to attempt to secure a vacation scheme at a different firm in the upcoming cycle.

AND HERE I AM, after six years of legal education, having devoted every waking moment to the noble pursuit of law🤣, navigating through Dantean trials for the mere chance of a vacation scheme, much less a training contract!!! And folks are out here treating training contracts like they're swiping left or right on Tinder.
    Guys, I think I’m not bright enough or I don’t know what it is.😭😭

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    In a group chat, someone was asking if it would be considered unprofessional to turn down a training contract offer after completing a vacation scheme at one firm, because they want to attempt to secure a vacation scheme at a different firm in the upcoming cycle.

AND HERE I AM, after six years of legal education, having devoted every waking moment to the noble pursuit of law🤣, navigating through Dantean trials for the mere chance of a vacation scheme, much less a training contract!!! And folks are out here treating training contracts like they're swiping left or right on Tinder.
    Ah yes, that is something the entire group chat really needed to hear. They are just bragging, doesn't even make any logical sense.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

thats the equivalent of someone in my law school gc asking 'is getting a 76 in this module bad??' 😭 jus brush it off babe you'll get there, you've been killing it in this cycle

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023

lmao I heavily relate to this. It's been two years since I graduated this year (I did non-law though) and it's my third cycle. This process can sometimes feel like you're not making practical progress when in reality you're getting further through the process than ever. Defo an uphill battle and can relate to that feeling - a lot of my friends from uni are MC trainees and I'm a bit like lol can I pls just get to the end point

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.