TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
They have them all the way through until the end of March, but have sent out all of the invites already I think.
Are you sure? I went to book my slot the second the AC invite was sent, and the latest date was 6 Feb. Also, ive spoke to a lot of people and that is also the latest date ive seen/heard.

And they are non-rolling, so the fact they told us we could hear back in the next few days means it was the last one (as they dont send out any offers until all ACs are finished)

• Dislike
Reactions: NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How would one approach these questions if it were asked this in an interview? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

1) “What would you do if someone asked you for help and you would have to hand in your work late if you helped them”

assuming you’d offer to help but prioritise your own commitments to show collaboration and time management?

2)”What would you do if your supervisor asked you to do some work but they were really vague and didn’t give you any specifics and were then out of office until the deadline”

Ask Colleagues for assistance as they may have worked on something similar/help you with it?

How would you structure your response to actually answer the question concisely and not ramble?
1) I would just highlight being very clear and communicate with the person you gave you the task and tell them that you are working on it but you would have to hand the work in a little bit later and ask if that is okay with them too.

2) I would reach out to people who might have worked with the same supervisor or have done the same type of work and ask them where you should start from. Additionally, I would use the resources of the firm to see if there is a bank of documents or tasks similar to what the supervisor asked me to do. I would also send an email to him very promptly to and ask him if he has a set deadline that he wants you to respect.

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and Legalstalker

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Are you sure? I went to book my slot the second the AC invite was sent, and the latest date was 6 Feb. Also, ive spoke to a lot of people and that is also the latest date ive seen/heard.

And they are non-rolling, so the fact they told us we could hear back in the next few days means it was the last one (as they dont send out any offers until all ACs are finished)
Can’t speak specifically but often firms only give candidates a certain time frame to book in! One of my firms only gave me two dates but I know they are completing ACs still after the dates I was given.

But if the firm has given a time frame for offers explicitly that would be the timeline to follow. Just keep it in mind for any future ACs that your options might not have been the last options!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When I was applying to universities, I was told that if I got rejected from somewhere, it obviously wasn't right for me. It helps sometimes when I'm facing the emails. I hope it helps someone else.
That is such an amazing mindset to have and I am sure it will help others too!!

Reactions: Sharon Wu and atlas2425

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023

Oh no I have mine next week so pretty sure they run for another few weeks. I was just wondering how it was , I’ve heard the written exercise is v time pressured

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023

But hope it went well for you !🤞

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023

I had mine yesterday and when I booked I could’ve chosen the 8th so think that’s the last one. We were told we would hear in the next two weeks or so.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When asked to compare a firm to a competitor, would you compare it in terms of its offering and how it differentiates itself from said competitor in a business sense, or would you compare it in terms of an applicant? Or a bit of both?
I would use the first approach personally because you would want to convey an objective, professional and commercial analysis of the pros and cons of this firm compared to others and highlighting how said firm is better in a commercial way. From the prospective of an applicant might appear as too subjective as far as I am concerned.

Fysone

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2020

@Apple I was offered AC dates up until 12 March for Spring VS, and still have mine to come. Please could you update here if you do hear back in the next few days?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.