Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker, is the question of why should we offer you a place the same as why do you want to work at this firm? Or are they looking for different things?
They are different questions to me.

The first is about selling your USPs/strengths.

The second is about your motivations.

There might be a bit of cross over if a strength is your motivation, but I’d generally expect them to cover different themes.

Reactions: NJS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can't believe this one, but Addleshaw Goddard VS offer!
(Glasgow/Edinburgh - Spring/Summer)

Guess it shows that even the worst interviews with the worst case study performances can also have a chance 🥳
This also shows that sometimes candidates are the own worst critic.

There is no chance on earth that your performances were “worst” no matter what category you put on it!!

Don’t beat yourself up even after such good news - make sure you recognise the positives of your performance as it’s a really important tool when being a lawyer!

zekeking

Jan 13, 2024
Does anyone know what the format is for DWF's VI? Also do they ask any commercial awareness questions?
for those who got a debevoise open day - did it allow you to book a day or were you allocated a certain day? Not sure if they are sending out open invites day by day maybe?
for those who got a debevoise open day - did it allow you to book a day or were you allocated a certain day? Not sure if they are sending out open invites day by day maybe?
All invites were sent out on Monday at the same time I assume. There was an option of 3 dates on a first come first served basis with a deadline to reply by tomorrow.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Can you please highlight how to answer questions focusing on an individuals weakness. need some inspiration please.
The first step is to do some self analysis and be honest with yourself as to what you need to improve on. Make sure it has some relevancy to the type of firm/work you would be doing though.

Then try to think about how you are currently trying to improve that area now and also how you could continue to develop in that area as a trainee too. They key to this answer is really showing the proactive steps you are taking to will take in the future to improve this area.

danturner

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
I basically said that I had another offer that clashed but I really wanted to do the scheme at firm x and I was eager to know an earlier update to be able to choose firm x. I would just try to be very gracious and appreciative of even being offered the interview or final assessment centre in the first place and ask for an update. I would say that this is effective after 2 full weeks of waiting, especially if they did not tell you when to expect to hear back.
Thank you! Is that even if the dates do not actually clash?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.