TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I would use the first approach personally because you would want to convey an objective, professional and commercial analysis of the pros and cons of this firm compared to others and highlighting how said firm is better in a commercial way. From the prospective of an applicant might appear as too subjective as far as I am concerned.
    Nice one Axel, thanks! :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre

I was reading about how you contacted a firm about an accelerated decision last year, and was wondering how you phrased your email to them?

I currently have an offer for a VS which I can do in either spring or summer, and am waiting on a decision for another firm for their spring scheme. I did this interview on the 23rd Jan so have been waiting quite some time. If I was to do my current offer in spring, the dates do not clash, and given that I can also do it in summer there is no issue of any dates clashing at all. However, knowing if I got the firm I am waiting on would play a big part in my decision of when to do my current scheme so it would be very helpful to know (it is also my top choice of firm).

How would you go about emailing them to ask, and do you think it is suitable to do so?

Thank you very much!
    I basically said that I had another offer that clashed but I really wanted to do the scheme at firm x and I was eager to know an earlier update to be able to choose firm x. I would just try to be very gracious and appreciative of even being offered the interview or final assessment centre in the first place and ask for an update. I would say that this is effective after 2 full weeks of waiting, especially if they did not tell you when to expect to hear back.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    For people that have done the Dechert WE, I'm booked in for tomorrow but am yet to be sent anything to do with the exercise, do they send it all on the morning of the assessment?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey @Jessica Booker, is the question of why should we offer you a place the same as why do you want to work at this firm? Or are they looking for different things?
    The two questions are significantly different as far as I am concerned.

1. in the first one you are describing your strengths, whether it is your academics, internships, positions of responsibility that made you develop certain skills that will make you a successful future lawyer.
    2. The second asks you to focus on the reasons why you want to join the firm, whether these are the practice areas offered at the firm, deals and cases they work on, specific clients that excite you, pro bono initiatives or diversity programs that interests you and you want to be part of at the firm. These are the kind of factors you would mention in the second question.
    I hope this is clear enough and good luck with your interviews!

Reactions: NJS

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    should I give up on waiting out for a macs ac, seems like from this forum they won't be doing another batch soon 😩
    No I wouldn't. Last cycle, I thought I missed out on an AC opportunity, turned out I got the AC and secured the VS, and that was with speculation on this forum that all interviews were all in Feb, BUT my AC was in March.

I know firms interview all the way through March too!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    No I wouldn't. Last cycle, I thought I missed out on an AC opportunity, turned out I got the AC and secured the VS, and that was with speculation on this forum that all interviews were all in Feb, BUT my AC was in March.

I know firms interview all the way through March too!
    u're amazing thank u <333 that gives me some comfort ahahah

• Love
    Reactions: legalgrinch

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    u're amazing thank u <333 that gives me some comfort ahahah
    Don't worry!!! We are all in this together!!! You got this hahah!!
    Excited Lets Go GIF by 2023 MTV Video Music Awards

• 🏆
    Reactions: ayiiii05

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.