TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
I think there is merit to both points. On one hand, many firms are CV blind, or simply wont particularly care about the gap. But it is very possible some firms will. I'm pretty sure having a look through the premium database there are some interview where a gap is questioned, but it could be tactfully avoided, or much simpler, preparing a rational explanation :)
True yeah, I think it also really depends on how long of a gap it is realistically. If you graduated in July, and you spent a few months to apply for firms for the Winter Vac Scheme, I don’t see an issue. If you graduated in July but was working during uni or had some work experience prior to graduating, then went to several open days, virtual events, etc between October-December during the “milk round” and applied for firms, I don’t think it’s an issue either. But that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: Apple

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I don’t necessarily think so. Even if so, you could phrase it as you were looking for jobs. Firms will be aware how competitive the job market is for graduates so if you say you weren’t able to find anything for that three month period but were actively looking/while applying for open days etc, I think that’s realistic and reasonable.

I think the main point is I would just be wary about having a major gap (i.e. graduating in July and then having no real work experience from then when you go to an AC in March).
I don't have a full time/part time job at the minute. But I am doing regular volunteer work (weekly). I finished my final assignment in September but officially graduated in Jan. I've only had interviews for jobs. I've been "promised" positions but nothing materialises because as tough as the job market is for graduates, the internal operations in organisations/companies are even worse. Would my circumstances be a red flag or?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre just had my Goodwin interview, and the interview ended in 20- 25 minutes (bear in mind, we were allocated 45) with the interviewers agreeing with all my points and, even in the case study, one of them said I knew more about the topic than they did! I spent the remaining time just asking them questions. I’m unsure as to whether I should take this as a good sign or a bad one (in that they knew they weren’t going to offer me a place and wanted the interview over and done with). What do you think?
It is definitely a good sign in my opinion so I personally would not worry about it! It is difficult to tell though as I was not in the interview. However, from what you described, I would think that it went very well. The interview is not meant to be super long anyway as I think they are pretty quick to understand who they like and who they do not so do not worry!

Congratulations on getting the interview and doing it! I interviewed last year today too so hopefully Valentine's Day will be helpful to you too!!

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I don't have a full time/part time job at the minute. But I am doing regular volunteer work (weekly). I finished my final assignment in September but officially graduated in Jan. I've only had interviews for jobs. I've been "promised" positions but nothing materialises because as tough as the job market is for graduates, the internal operations in organisations/companies are even worse. Would my circumstances be a red flag or?
I wouldn’t say at all. You only graduated in January and have been actively looking for jobs/volunteering. I think it’s more the treating applications as a job that would set alarm bells off without doing anything else alongside it.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Anyone who did the Goodwin interview when can we expect to hear back? Assume it's a call if successful, email if not. I can't bear to see another 'Candid - your application' email and need to mentally prepare
They do call if you get the offer but the wait is long. Last year some people waited for 5 weeks. I personally email them after the 3rd week for an earlier update so you could do that as well if needed.

Reactions: AB

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Work experience is most definitely not irrelevant. Many interviews are blind these days, so when they ask you why law/to introduce yourself, they will pick up that you are missing any activity post-grad. Equally, the gap on the application screening itself will be looked down upon. I'm sure there are many people who are hired with these gaps, but they are the exception, not the rule. If you aren't working (even a part time job at the pub), say you're going travelling instead, but if they think you're spending a year sitting at home sending off applications and messing around whilst others are sending off applications whilst still doing something beneficial/enriching, the former will lose out in 9/10 cases.
There is no reason for you to mention that you haven’t worked post-grad when they ask you “why law” or “tell me about yourself” imo. Infact, CV Blind interviews will work in your favour especially if you have gaps. Although yes, no activity post-grad for a year will probably be frowned upon hence why I suggested open days and virtual events during the milkround. I think firms are very much aware that the process is competitive and finding a job right after uni is not possible for everyone. Baring in mind for instance international students may not have access to jobs like we do, those that move back to remote (country/village) areas after uni, or personal circumstances like disability etc. Some people will also have their own entrepreneurial pursuits or extra curriculars after uni which could count towards work experience.

Reactions: bella98

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
There is no reason for you to mention that you haven’t worked post-grad when they ask you “why law” or “tell me about yourself” imo. Infact, CV Blind interviews will work in your favour especially if you have gaps. Although yes, no activity post-grad for a year will probably be frowned upon hence why I suggested open days and virtual events during the milkround. I think firms are very much aware that the process is competitive and finding a job right after uni is not possible for everyone. Baring in mind for instance international students may not have access to jobs like we do, those that move back to remote (country/village) areas after uni, or personal circumstances like disability etc. Some people will also have their own entrepreneurial pursuits or extra curriculars after uni which could count towards work experience.
Yes, but most of those are the same as spending the whole time doing nothing but making applications. Also if they ask 'tell me about yourself' and its February, and you finished with 'i graduated 8 months ago' there will certainly be warning sirens in the mind of the interviewer as to what you've been doing, and they will likely ask you what you've done since then or ask for a more recent example to a question. Even doing something like working in a pub 'building my interpersonal skills' etc. would be expected if nothing else. Open days and virtual events, whilst demonstrating an interest in the law, don't really show the same pro-activeness that someone doing the same whilst working part time/full time would show.

At the end of the day, you could do nothing but apply and maybe do some virtual presentations if you really want- but top law firms get thousands of applications, and you will be disadvantaged if you aren't showing at least some effort beyond the bare minimum.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Yes, but most of those are the same as spending the whole time doing nothing but making applications. Also if they ask 'tell me about yourself' and its February, and you finished with 'i graduated 8 months ago' there will certainly be warning sirens in the mind of the interviewer as to what you've been doing, and they will likely ask you what you've done since then or ask for a more recent example to a question. Even doing something like working in a pub 'building my interpersonal skills' etc. would be expected if nothing else. Open days and virtual events, whilst demonstrating an interest in the law, don't really show the same pro-activeness that someone doing the same whilst working part time/full time would show.

At the end of the day, you could do nothing but apply and maybe do some virtual presentations if you really want- but top law firms get thousands of applications, and you will be disadvantaged if you aren't showing at least some effort beyond the bare minimum.
I think we will agree to disagree imo. You have too many assumptions and variables in your argument. I have never said “I graduated X months ago” in an interview, saying “I graduated from X university with 1st/2:1” will suffice. You’re also assuming that the person cannot draw on several other work experience that isn’t recent, I personally don’t state the specific dates of work experiences. I just state the role, action, result as per the STAR method. Plus grad recruitment emphasise that open days and virtual events are definitely a great indicator of proactiveness because it shows direct interest whereas other work experience is based on transferable skills.

BolderBlackPrincess

Dec 16, 2023
I think we will agree to disagree imo. You have too many assumptions and variables in your argument. I have never said “I graduated X months ago” in an interview, saying “I graduated from X university with 1st/2:1” will suffice. You’re also assuming that the person cannot draw on several other work experience that isn’t recent, I personally don’t state the specific dates of work experiences. I just state the role, action, result as per the STAR method. Plus grad recruitment emphasise that open days and virtual events are definitely a great indicator of proactiveness because it shows direct interest whereas other work experience is based on transferable skills.
I think you're underestimating the competivenss of the cycles based on perhaps your success which I'd argue is an exception

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
I think you're underestimating the competivenss of the cycles based on perhaps your success which I'd argue is an exception
Not at all, I most definitely understand the competitiveness but having gaps in work experience really doesnt indicate incompetence or lack of skill. I’m basing it off what I’ve seen and have been advised from grad rec at events I’ve been to. You can sell yourself remarkably either way.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They are with HSF and Cleary and I am really struggling to choose because I really enjoyed both ACs and am really interested in the work they do. I guess the sensible thing to do is to accept HSF given their conversion rate but it feels horrible to turn down a firm I really like especially if it means they would never hire me in the future.
It doesn’t mean they would never hire you - it will all be forgotten about by the time you qualified. It is more the challenge if you apply to them in search for a TC after you turned them down for a VS - that’s the only time it gets tricky.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020

I have personally done this in the past when I graduated and it was fine as long as you had some work experiences to back up your application. They know tc application is almost a full time job and that youd be doing a lot of things along side, not just writing application (extra curriculars, open days, part time job and so on).
Plus its extremely difficult to get a city job nowadays upon graduation, so few months gap is not seen as a warning. Though, i think if you are still unemployed the next cycle (so Septemeber), its going to come across as a lack of proactiveness.

Its a competitve process and being ambitious and proactive is valued, but no firm wants a burned out trainee. Everyone needs to find their balance

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok thank you! Sorry one more q- Do you think it matters if I call or email?
You’ll most likely get a quicker response if you call, so it depends how long you are willing to wait for an answer.

I would call first and if you don’t get to speak to someone, then email.

Reactions: Lawyer500

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.