TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    if i could turn back time id jus do a solicitor apprenticeship and save myself all this debt at this point 😭
    Adding to the gap conversation:

I graduated without a TC offer and I didn't have the money to spend on the LPC or an LLM ( nor did I want any more debt + it's really not necessary, if you obtain a TC the firm will cover the SQE now anyway - UOL and BPP are just good at marketing).

I obtained a paralegal role through Flex Legal - I joined their system in March and obtained my role in August. I really enjoyed my paralegal role but it had a very high turnover which meant work would be dumped on you at the last minute and you'd just end up working late - not a 9-5 - which is fine, what I expected from a law firm but it meant I didn't have time to fully invest in applications and interviews ( I was stuck as a paralegal and I didn't want to be a career paralegal) .

If I could take back time I would work a retail job or a 9-5 where at 5 you're done or even a part time job, ( there are some paralegal/ legal admin roles). I would try to obtain some pro-bono work to bulk my cv ( citizen's advice/ support through court I believe are lowish commitment)

I would then apply for paralegal roles in January ( so once the vac scheme session is over you have a job). I think because of how tough it is to get a paralegal role you can get away with a gap a bit more ( as long as you're doing something else in that time).

I know a few people who just worked in retail and managed to obtain a TC. I worked as a paralegal and still don't have one.

I also know people who went into a different career and then obtained a TC - I wish I considered other careers alongside law at uni so at least I could have built a career elsewhere and entered law as a career changer.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    From what I have seen on LinkedIn it appears more privately educated/ grammar school individuals know about them ( or maybe they're just the one who have the confidence to post about it).

I didn't know about them, nor did I know about a-level schemes and it really annoys me because if I had known about a-level and first year schemes I probably could have saved myself time. But I went to a state school where their only goal was getting people into university ( they obtained more funding per student, so they needed their progression to university figures to be higher to attract more students - they literally told me this or I overheard them). It wasn't just my schools fault, I did have access to the internet but a school or parents who know about these opportunities/ how to find these opportunities/ the path to take does help.
    At least in your school they wanted to send people into uni. In my mine their only goal was to get rid of us asap, as they didn’t have enough teachers to teach the IB 😂

dms21

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2023
    Just wondering for those who have done a few cycles, when is the latest you would usually hear back from firms and when is the latest you could sit for an interview? Specifically if anyone knows for TLT, Withers, and Travers Smith that would be a plus!

Reactions: bangarangbass39

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Just wondering for those who have done a few cycles, when is the latest you would usually hear back from firms and when is the latest you could sit for an interview? Specifically if anyone knows for TLT, Withers, and Travers Smith that would be a plus!
    I had an interview for Withers in early April last year, and I think some people had theirs after that

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: EllaClayton

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    A pub is a part-time job.
    I was thinking this too. A job doesn't need to be a legal one straight away and there is ALWAYS something that can be done including volunteering work. Firms like work experience (I have attended events and multiple grad recruitment's have said to have some before applying) because of the transferable skills that you will bring to the table. I had never heard of taking time off work to do applications or it being a sufficient excuse as to why there is a gap in my life until this forum. That alone could demonstrate the ability to multi-task.

Reactions: sibs23

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Adding to the gap conversation:

I graduated without a TC offer and I didn't have the money to spend on the LPC or an LLM ( nor did I want any more debt + it's really not necessary, if you obtain a TC the firm will cover the SQE now anyway - UOL and BPP are just good at marketing).

I obtained a paralegal role through Flex Legal - I joined their system in March and obtained my role in August. I really enjoyed my paralegal role but it had a very high turnover which meant work would be dumped on you at the last minute and you'd just end up working late - not a 9-5 - which is fine, what I expected from a law firm but it meant I didn't have time to fully invest in applications and interviews ( I was stuck as a paralegal and I didn't want to be a career paralegal) .

If I could take back time I would work a retail job or a 9-5 where at 5 you're done or even a part time job, ( there are some paralegal/ legal admin roles). I would try to obtain some pro-bono work to bulk my cv ( citizen's advice/ support through court I believe are lowish commitment)

I would then apply for paralegal roles in January ( so once the vac scheme session is over you have a job). I think because of how tough it is to get a paralegal role you can get away with a gap a bit more ( as long as you're doing something else in that time).

I know a few people who just worked in retail and managed to obtain a TC. I worked as a paralegal and still don't have one.

I also know people who went into a different career and then obtained a TC - I wish I considered other careers alongside law at uni so at least I could have built a career elsewhere and entered law as a career changer.
    After attending numerous events, I completely agree with you with the career stuff. Many people that I have come across had perhaps one legal experience which was a vacation scheme then went onto a TC. There is so much pressure to get a legal job straight away but attitudes towards 'only legal experience' is shifting, the same way there are many undergraduate History graduates as solicitors at firms. The whole point of applications is so that we stand out and the careers we go into (even briefly) can really help our applications because there will be thousands of LLB graduates applying writing nice things but it's about what will ultimately make person A stand out from person B. That's why firms ask about you as a person but at the same time, it's never too late for anything :)

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    Exactly. Really doubting the other person who said grad recruitment told them it fine to just relax at home for a year???
    Sorry but I have been reading your comments over the past week, and you come across quite combative and abrasive. The other person is merely sharing their experience as they are entitled to do so - you don't need to doubt their truthfulness. You had a different experience and that's that.

Last edited:

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Well for one you just tried to do a strawman fallacy argument when I never said in verbatim that grad rec said to sit at home for a year and do nothing. If you read anything I said, that would’ve not been the conclusion you tried to push - quite the opposite actually. It’s fine though, just leave it be - I said we can agree to disagree ages ago.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.