Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
What reputable website would you recommend to search law firm competitors?
Legal 500 and Chambers if you are looking at client work. Look at rankings broken down by location.

If you are trying to compare firms by things like work life balance / pro bono opportunities or other “culture” or “training” opportunities, then looking at the Future Lawyers listings and Legal Cheek’s “most” list.

lawstudent1245

• Aug 23, 2023
    Legal 500 and Chambers if you are looking at client work. Look at rankings broken down by location.

If you are trying to compare firms by things like work life balance / pro bono opportunities or other “culture” or “training” opportunities, then looking at the Future Lawyers listings and Legal Cheek’s “most” list.
    Thank you!
    Would their competitors be those ranked in higher tiers?

Last edited:

Arianne Kez

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 7, 2023
    When a firm asks Do you have any links to the firm

If you have networked with one of their trainees/associates and have had a discussion about the firm over networking/LinkedIn can you inlcude it here. Or is this kind of connection not applicable?

Thanks so much :)

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    When a firm asks Do you have any links to the firm

If you have networked with one of their trainees/associates and have had a discussion about the firm over networking/LinkedIn can you inlcude it here. Or is this kind of connection not applicable?

Thanks so much :)
    I could be wrong but I think that wont be applicable. I believe that usually refers to something like family ties.

Reactions: Arianne Kez

leaaa2023

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 27, 2023
    @Jessica Booker If a firm recruits on a rolling basis and applications close in January and they have an open day in December. Would you say it's worth holding off applying to apply to their Open day? Or would applying much earlier than that be an advantage? What if I receive a rejection from the Open Day and have to put that on my VC app? I guess I see more odds not in my favor by waiting for the Open Day and possibility of rejection

artlawyer

Jul 31, 2023
    How important are PGDL grades? I recently attained a mid-commendation but got 50s in four modules (most notably contract). The rest of my academics are strong though (A-Levels and RG university).

I also had this panic as I got a low pass in the PGDL (in 2020 Covid era albeit) but I now have a TC at a silver circle firm. I got a distinction on the LPC though as I worried it would impact me but it genuinely hasn't. I wouldn't worry too much about it given the rest of your academics are strong! - also a mid-commendation is v good!

Reactions: Szobo20

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hi - for Jones Day VS, is it bad if I did not join any event nor did the Forage internship (I could do it now if it could impact my application) ? I want to apply but unfortunately haven't joined events as of yet.

Also for the cover letter, if it is 300 words, should I do 100 words why law, 100 words why Jones Day and 100 why me ? or focus more on Jones Day.

Last edited:

kmo20

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    Hi Kitty, thanks for your quick reply 🤍

Do I have limited time to prepare? or can I open them today and record tomorrow for example?
    Hi :) that’s ok! I’m not actually sure as it doesn’t say how long, although I wouldn’t shut down the browser just to be safe as I don’t know how you would access it again. Although there is no limit and you can take as long as you want preparing otherwise.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hi :) that’s ok! I’m not actually sure as it doesn’t say how long, although I wouldn’t shut down the browser just to be safe as I don’t know how you would access it again. Although there is no limit and you can take as long as you want preparing otherwise.
    Oh, that makes sense! Thank you so much for the information :)

Reactions: kmo20

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Hi - for Jones Day VS, is it bad if I did not join any event nor did the Forage internship (I could do it now if it could impact my application) ? I want to apply but unfortunately haven't joined events as of yet.

Also for the cover letter, if it is 300 words, should I do 100 words why law, 100 words why Jones Day and 100 why me ? or focus more on Jones Day.
    Why do people keep asking this about Jones Day?

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    I did not see the previous questions but I guess they are confused about it, as I am

Hi there. Here’s my two cents on this matter:

If you have a strong reason for why you want to become a commercial solicitor/why you wish to work for JD, then I don’t think not doing a forage internship would put you at a disadvantage. I read on this forum that someone was invited to a JD interview without doing their forage internship. Another thing to note is since forage programmes are open access internships, doing one isn’t particularly going to make you stand out. So many people can do them. In fact, I know someone who’s never attended any open days yet has completed vac schemes at top magic circle, silver circle & int’l law firms (where they’re a future trainee now). So I suppose it’s more about presenting your reasons in a convincing manner rather than thinking you’ll be at a disadvantage for not competing a forage internship.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.