TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Aug 28, 2023
Hi

In terms of structure -

I attended a TCLA workshop and they mentioned that while there is not set structure you have to follow, it is good to start with the microanalysis then move on the macro-analysis

Micro being: analysing what actually happened in the deal

Macro: look at the wider implications, political, economic and legal impact - how this would affect the firm both internally and externally

Detail wise - I’ve been told you should be as detailed as possible really - not description but in analysis and forming an opinion around the story.

So after doing detailed research - choosing the top 4/5 things that were most interesting or important about the story and focusing on that and cutting out any unnecessary information
Is this where PESTLE comes in?

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
Hello
does anyone know when the winter vacation scheme for Latham opens up?
I can't see it on their application portal - only open days are listed.

Aug 28, 2023
Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you guys are going for Magic Circle firms, are there any MC firms that you want specifically and why? I'm trying to deepen my understanding of how they all differ from each other.
Allen & Overy is very tech based and I know them well. Clifford Chance has very good training and the largest trainee intake. But I don't know what differentiates Freshfields, LinkLaters and Slaughter & May so I would appreciate your thoughts ☺️

Reactions: Sharon Wu

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if any of you guys are going for Magic Circle firms, are there any MC firms that you want specifically and why? I'm trying to deepen my understanding of how they all differ from each other.
    Allen & Overy is very tech based and I know them well. Clifford Chance has very good training and the largest trainee intake. But I don't know what differentiates Freshfields, LinkLaters and Slaughter & May so I would appreciate your thoughts ☺️
    I'd say what has differentiated FF has been its expansion and success in US markets.

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I'd say what has differentiated FF has been its expansion and success in US markets.
    FF has also arguably the most developed litigation practice (particularly in arbitration and investor state work), as well as doing 3 month seats, and being the most established firm in continental Europe.

Links does more genera corporate work whilst A&O & CC are more financial oriented.

A&O is merging with Shearman

Size of the intake is not the best differentiator!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!

I was wondering what kind of structure is usually used/recommended when answering the 'tell us a commercial news topic that has interested you' type of questions.

I do know it's important to link it back to the firm, but how in-depth are answers meant to be? Does anyone have any tips on this?
    You only need to explicitly link it to the firm in terms of what you write if the question asks you. But even if they don’t ask, the subject should have some link, you just don’t need to explain what the link is.

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
    Sep 14, 2023
    So if an application asks if I ever had to retake an exam voluntarily - does that mean only at uni or at a level as well?
    Do I need to tell them about AS exams I retook?
    (This question is asked after the undergrad section)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So if an application asks if I ever had to retake an exam voluntarily - does that mean only at uni or at a level as well?
    Do I need to tell them about AS exams I retook?
    (This question is asked after the undergrad section)
    If you can include this detail in the A-level section I would.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.