Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was hoping you or someone that knows about this could help out. I've been offered 2 VS with large firms, but they're both at the same time. I've already signed my contract with Firm 1 (their offer came 1 month before Firm 2) and they only do one VS a year. Firm 2 is an access scheme rather than a VS although it's the same experience and TC offer at the end. What should I do in this instance as I don't want to miss out on one? (can't believe I got any at all!). I was thinking of asking Firm 2 to maybe move me onto one of their VS dates but also don't want it to sound like they're a 2nd choice. Thanks!
This is one of the downsides of success (unfortunately)!

As firm 1 has only got one scheme, you can only really ask Firm 2 whether they can move you. If Firm 2 can't, then I think you have to consider which firm you would prefer to do your TC with in the first instance and prioritise the firm you most want to work for long term. However, if one of the two firms has a much stronger history of making direct TC offers, this could influence your decision making too, but I think it is always best to accept the firm you most want to work for, even that means reneging on a firm you had accepted previously.

Reactions: WindowsUpdate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi, I had a question about how much is too much to include in an application form. I am writing an application form and the work experience section has pretty much unlimited entries. I currently have 12 entries (I have grouped together voluntary roles and open days/workshops). Is this too much?

Would it also be wrong to include extracurriculars under the work experience section given there isn't a question asking to include those?

Thanks!
If you have 12 work experience entries, definitely don't add your extracurriculars to this section.

Some firms do not care about extracurriculars - it just isn't important to them, and so forcing it into other sections can work against you.

Plus you have lots of work experience to leverage anyway.

I wouldn't worry about there being 12 entries but I would aim for collectively those entries to not be more than 2500 words.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When answering 'tell me about yourself', should you literally run through your experience or should you take it as an opportunity to do more of a hard sell?
The way I always tackled this question was:

• Talking about where I come from (especially if you are international or you have been raised outside of the UK as it is a good conversation starter)
  • My educational background (so what I studied, why I studied it, briefly touching upon my interests)
  • Sectors in which I have professional experience in (I personally use to mention 2/3 like start-up and consulting)
Those are the teams that I covered and then the interviewers asked me more in depth questions.

I hope this is helpful!

Reactions: Jaysen

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
HI, I applied for the vacation scheme at Addleshaw Goddard, completed the critical thinking test, but have not heard anything back regarding the assessment centre?

Has anybody else heard back?
I am in the same boat, and I have seen few people were invited to AC. I don’t want to be pessimistic, but from a small experience, I realised that every time firms send ACs early and leave the rest to wait, it means they will reject whom didn’t receive anything later.
Hope I am wrong !

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
If you have 12 work experience entries, definitely don't add your extracurriculars to this section.

Some firms do not care about extracurriculars - it just isn't important to them, and so forcing it into other sections can work against you.

Plus you have lots of work experience to leverage anyway.

I wouldn't worry about there being 12 entries but I would aim for collectively those entries to not be more than 2500 words.
Thank you, Jessica. That really helps. 😊

Just wanted to check if you think including open days/workshops and voluntary roles is OK. I have included them under a single entry separately and everything else is either paid work or work experience like law clinic.

Also, I have included two sections for open days/legal career research. One is for open days and workshops and the second one I have titled "Legal Career Research [Middle East Region]" -- I have done this mostly because of the wordcount limit under a single entry but also because I am a UK student so I thought it may make sense to show my motivations/research into the region separately. Under this section, I have included interactions I have had with lawyers who work in the region and webinars. Is that ok in your opinion?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, could I please get your thoughts on this? :) @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

What skills do you think are needed to be a successful solicitor at our firm? (250)
For this question, I think focusing on 3 skills is pretty good amount given wordcount so that I can elaborate too. I do want to answer the question and not include what it isn't explicitly asking for but there's no "why you/what do you offer to us" question in the application form, so should I use this space to mention where I have demonstrated each skill I think is important?

thank you!
I would personally mention three skills, explain why they are important and link them back to an experience where I have demonstrated them. I would be mindful of the word count and so if you need more words I would only mention two skills which you think are more important.

As long as you answer the question exhaustively, linking back to your experiences, as you said, will give you another layer to your application.

I personally always tackled this question in this way when I was applying, even in interviews. Chances are that if you do not talk about your experiences, in an interview, they will ask you to do it immediately after this question anyway!

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, Jessica. That really helps. 😊

Just wanted to check if you think including open days/workshops and voluntary roles is OK. I have included them under a single entry separately and everything else is either paid work or work experience like law clinic.

Also, I have included two sections for open days/legal career research. One is for open days and workshops and the second one I have titled "Legal Career Research [Middle East Region]" -- I have done this mostly because of the wordcount limit under a single entry but also because I am a UK student so I thought it may make sense to show my motivations/research into the region separately. Under this section, I have included interactions I have had with lawyers who work in the region and webinars. Is that ok in your opinion?
Yes - it is okay to include those. If there is a "careers events" section, then move the open days/workshops to that section though and remove from your work experience.

Voluntary toles are ok to include in a work experience section too.

I am not sure what you mean by "Legal Career Research" - is this a title for a work experience entry? If so, it is likely to not be appropriate to include this there. What you are describing in terms of talking to people is not work experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker
I realised I forgot to submit the Rare Recruitment Survey for a firm and have not heard from them since applying.
Is there any chance my application has not been considered because of this?
I wouldn't expect this to be the case as this information is generally not compulsory (you wouldn't have been able to proceed with your application if it was), and for many applicants the questions are not as relevant anyway (e.g. international students).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker I was hoping you or someone that knows about this could help out. I've been offered 2 VS with large firms, but they're both at the same time. I've already signed my contract with Firm 1 (their offer came 1 month before Firm 2) and they only do one VS a year. Firm 2 is an access scheme rather than a VS although it's the same experience and TC offer at the end. What should I do in this instance as I don't want to miss out on one? (can't believe I got any at all!). I was thinking of asking Firm 2 to maybe move me onto one of their VS dates but also don't want it to sound like they're a 2nd choice. Thanks!
This is a good problem to have as far as problems with application cycles goes and congratulations for obtaining two offers this is amazing!!

I personally would do what you suggested and ask the second firm to move you to another date for their vacation scheme, or, alternatively, to consider you for a direct training contract.

If you are worried about them thinking they are a 2nd choice, do not be. Law firms totally understand that competition for talented people is fierce and nobody can take it personally. When you ask the second firm about a chance to move, make sure to highlight how grateful you are for the opportunity and that the firm is still on your priority list.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker
I realised I forgot to submit the Rare Recruitment Survey for a firm and have not heard from them since applying.
Is there any chance my application has not been considered because of this?
This will not be an issue, I did forget to submit many times last year when I was applying and it was fine!

• Love
Reactions: estimur

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Anyone that heard from Goodwin? I applied in December for the vacation scheme and I've seen some people on here get their rejection or interviews on 24th of January. Is this usual or am I just worrying for no reason and I should just keep waiting ?
I would email them to ask updates as it seems to be that it is a bit unusual since both rejections and offers have been sent out. I would also check my spam email just to confirm you have not receive anything from them!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

lawgurl90

Star Member
Jan 3, 2024
Hello, I've recently been offered a vacation scheme. The scheme consists of two cohorts in the summer. The first cohort begins immediately after the conclusion of my exams, and I'm considering taking a break in between. Would there be any difference in terms of opportunities for training contracts between the first and second cohorts? Are they more likely to offer additional training contracts to the first cohort?

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Yes - it is okay to include those. If there is a "careers events" section, then move the open days/workshops to that section though and remove from your work experience.

Voluntary toles are ok to include in a work experience section too.

I am not sure what you mean by "Legal Career Research" - is this a title for a work experience entry? If so, it is likely to not be appropriate to include this there. What you are describing in terms of talking to people is not work experience.
There's no careers events section which is why I am utilising the work experience section.

Are webinars not considered work experience in the same way that open days may be? If not, I could briefly mention them in the "why our firm/ why this office" applicstion question instead but the word count is 250 words so it's super tight.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.