Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on the interview question 'what other firms are you applying to?' Of course I will be honest here but I do think it's important to list firms that are similar to that firm in some way (ideally in a way that corresponds to why I am interested in that particular firm), but I'm afraid of mentioning too broad an array of firms here (eg mentioning a US firm when the firm interviewing me is a UK firm). Does any one have any advice on how best to approach this question?
I don’t think you have to list every firm you have applied to.

1) you can categorise firms

2) you can choose to not include some firms

Given this you can still talk about quite different firms from one another, but you have to either focus on the similarities that did draw you to them, or explain why the differences were important to you (some people do very different firms to work out which kind of firm/what kind of practice areas they are most interested in).

Reactions: DGI235

Filia

Standard Member
Jul 5, 2023
Does anyone know what a round table exercise would entail in an AC? “We want to see how you think and approach the unknown” is what the firm has said as an explanation, but any more insight would be appreciated :)

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Keep your points limited to the most relevant aspects. For instance, if you have done a webinar with the firm’s Dubai office, it will be much more relevant to mention this than if it is for another firm or for the same firm but another office.

Try to think what has influenced you the most rather than trying to showcase everything.
Thank you, Jessica.

One more question on the relevance bit please if you don't mind. I have both work-specific reasons and personal reasons (why I want to potentially relocate for work) that I could mention. Given that it's 250 words, do you think it's helpful to mention both or shall I wait until the interview/next stage to worry about personal motivations and focus on work for now?

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
W&C VI! Nice surprise to get this late on a Monday!

Anyone know what kind of questions to expect? Bit thrown by only having 3 days to complete it 😬

Also, this might be an obvious question, but if the deadline is “22 February 2024 (GMT+00:00)”, I presume that means 23:59pm on Thursday night rather than Wednesday night”?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, Jessica.

One more question on the relevance bit please if you don't mind. I have both work-specific reasons and personal reasons (why I want to potentially relocate for work) that I could mention. Given that it's 250 words, do you think it's helpful to mention both or shall I wait until the interview/next stage to worry about personal motivations and focus on work for now?
This is for a vacation scheme in Dubai?

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Please feel free to PM me and I can help with how you are detailing your mitigating circumstances. I wouldn't expect the need to rehash these from application to application, and I can help so the wording does not come across as making excuses.
Hi, is it possible to message you about this as well? Mine are already sent off but I’d like to clarify what is okay for future applications.

Last edited:

cattlawapps324

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
This is firm dependent but usually I would say no as law firms will offer the training contract to people they really like and if you have been offered a vacation scheme offer, you are more than capable to convert it regardless of the dates you choose.

Having said that, there are certain firms were the conversion rates for winter and spring seems to be higher than the summer ones so if i were you I would try to reach out to a future trainee at the firm or someone who recently completed a scheme there and ask this question before asking the firm to move dates.

In this way, you will have the exact piece of information you need and it will be more accurate.
Hi Axel, is it okay to ask this question to the firm's grad recruitment before making a decision (need to make on which scheme by friday), or will that look bad? Thanks!

Last edited:

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2023
W&C VI! Nice surprise to get this late on a Monday!

Anyone know what kind of questions to expect? Bit thrown by only having 3 days to complete it 😬

Also, this might be an obvious question, but if the deadline is “22 February 2024 (GMT+00:00)”, I presume that means 23:59pm on Thursday night rather than Wednesday night”?
Can I ask if this is for spring or summer?

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
The way I always tackled this question was:

• Talking about where I come from (especially if you are international or you have been raised outside of the UK as it is a good conversation starter)
  • My educational background (so what I studied, why I studied it, briefly touching upon my interests)
  • Sectors in which I have professional experience in (I personally use to mention 2/3 like start-up and consulting)
Those are the teams that I covered and then the interviewers asked me more in depth questions.

I hope this is helpful!
Thanks Axel

Reactions: axelbeugre

studentdelaw786

Star Member
Sep 11, 2019
I’m still waiting for HFW post app for the vac scheme. Their direct TC is also open and I was wondering if it would make sense to apply to the TC before getting an outcome for the vac scheme app?
they’re still processing apps. mainly those that have been filed in the last days before the deadline (including mine)
I have not heard back anything from Addleshaw Goddard after the WG style test. I have also not heard anything from HFW post-application. Anyone else in the same boat? I have emailed both firms to ask about updates, but both said they are still reviewing applications. But a lot of people seem to have already got Vac Scheme places.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?
i emailed HFW last week and they said they are still processing apps, mainly those that were submitted in the last few days before the deadline (mine included).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.