Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre hi, I have an application question to ask. I'm currently applying for a placement year and in the application form, there are 4 questions each with 500 words max. Should I max out the word limit in all four questions or keep it in the 300 words range? Thank you
I would try to get at least to 400 words per answer as if they are asking for up to 500, I suspect they want fuller or more detailed/depth of analysis answers.

karennnnnnnnn

Standard Member
Jan 10, 2023
I am applying for a in-house role and there are three supporting questions but there is also space to add a cover letter, I was wondering if I should prepare a cover letter too? The supporting questions are asking for my interest in the company and what skills I have that are relevant. If I do include a cover letter how long should it be? And how do I make it different to the supporting question? @Jessica Booker

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is the best way to tackle 'why you?' without boasting? I was told by a Partner at a firm who has worked as a partner in the past for some of the best law firms recently that I have alot of potential and was the kind of person that a specific firm looked for. My experiences were talked about a lot especially because of how fast I have managed to get certain roles and experiences but I feel weird bragging as I am somewhat reserved. How can I brag but not come across as self centred because prior to the 'meeting/session' I had confidence in myself but the behavior and what was said has made me realize that I am really not giving myself enough credit and that instead of 'why me?' I should be answering it as 'why not me?' @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker :)
i don’t agree that you should be pitching this as “why not me”. What specifically were you told by this partner to do?

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when asked what practice areas you're interested in, if the firm has sectors, would that be considered different?

For instance, if I'm interested in the hospitality sector of a firm, that's different to a practice area? Would the practice areas just be the "legal services" part of the website, such as banking, competition, disputes, real estate etc?

Any insight would be appreciated @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when asked what practice areas you're interested in, if the firm has sectors, would that be considered different?

For instance, if I'm interested in the hospitality sector of a firm, that's different to a practice area? Would the practice areas just be the "legal services" part of the website, such as banking, competition, disputes, real estate etc?

Any insight would be appreciated @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre :)
Practice areas will be the different areas of law: corporate, finance, tax, employment, IP, real estate, etc.

While sectors will be the industries the clients work in: Finance, technology, media, hospitality, retail etc.

It is fine to present your interests in hospitality, but I would lead more with in your interest in the practice area first but then explain your interest is more sector led, and that you would like to work across practice areas but within more specific sectors (if that is how the firm works).

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
Practice areas will be the different areas of law: corporate, finance, tax, employment, IP, real estate, etc.

While sectors will be the industries the clients work in: Finance, technology, media, hospitality, retail etc.

It is fine to pretence your interests in hospitality, but I would lead more with in your interest in the practice area first but then explain your interest is more sector led, and that you would like to work across practice areas but within more specific sectors (if that is how the firm works).
Thanks so much for the reply Jessica :) Following on with another quick query, if a firm has a practice area that it isn’t particularly renowned for, would it not be advised to mention that as one of interest?

Say if I mentioned I was interested in employment but the firm’s bigger practice area strengths are banking/corporate? Or does the fact the firm offers it make it a fine answer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, when mentioning a firm's awards in an interview, is it ok to mention that a firm is ranked Band 1 in a practice in 2023, and not talk about how that same practice is ranked Band 3 in 2024?

@Jessica Booker
This is why I often suggest people avoid using awards as a reference point.

There is likely to be a reason it has dropped so quickly (maybe it has lost key partners in this team or has lost key clients), and I think you really have to think about what does the ranking mean for you as a trainee. Is it really the ranking that gives you the benefit of working in that area, or is the ranking just a by-product of something else which is actually what will make working in that area interesting?

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
Did anyone apply to regional firms like Browne Jacobson? I’m looking at the application and I’m unsure if I’m meant to apply my previous job skills to the firm - regarding please give details of your responsibilities and achievements and how they support your application?
Hey, I know the deadline has passed now so not much help but I applied to Browne Jacobson and I did research on their values and the key skills needed for the role and made sure to emphasise them in my application while mentioning times when I demonstrated such skills and attributes in my work experience

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.