TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    My Application Summary Credits: @Legalstalker
    FYI: a mixture of winter, spring and summer vacation schemes + a few direct TCs
    • Total applications this cycle ~ 47
    • Rejections post app: ~ 10
    • Rejections post 1st or 2nd stage: ~20
    • Awaiting to hear from: ~15
    • SJT/VI’s still to do: 1
    • AC's this cycle: 2
    • VS offers: 1 (Spring)
    • Latest rejection: Goodwin
    • Hardest rejection: Gowling WLG (I attended their whole webinar series!!!)
    • Easiest rejection: Weightmans (I didn’t want to move up North anyway)
    • Ghosted me: Stephenson Harwood, EY and Freeths
    • Best Grad Recruitment: Baker McKenzie, Paul Hastings and Ropes & Gray
    • Tedious Application Process: EY (I wouldn’t apply again)
    • If I had converted my first AC, I would have done only 3 applications
    • If I had converted my second AC I would have only done 10 applications
    • If I had converted my third, fourth or fifth AC, I would have done 22 applications
    Congratulations! How difficult to secure a VS!

• 🤝
    Reactions: atlas2425 and Sharon Wu

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    This is a great question. I think the reality is that it's not clear because firms will often use these terms interchangeably and different firms will prefer to use different words. As you saw with Chambers Student/All About Law, it can also be hard to categorise these firms accurately (what does it mean if a firm is called a 'national firm' when it has international offices?).

From graduate recruitment's perspective, my view is that the most important part is to show that you understand the type of firm you are applying to. If this is still clear, even if you use the 'incorrect word', I don't think this will be an issue. So if you mistakenly referenced a firm was regional, but the evidence you provided made it clear you understand the firm has a strong national presence, I wouldn't see an issue with this.
    Okay great, thank you very much for the response! This is what I did in the first sections. I talked about its national dominance in the first paragraph but then said I liked to work for the firm because of its regional strengths in the 2nd paragraph and that I wanted to work in that said region (West Midlands/Birmingham). Tbf, I will just have to see what they respond with! Thanks Jaysen.

Reactions: Jaysen

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.
    I get your point, but you also don't see all the work that goes on behind the scenes or experiences they've had years in advance that might have prepared them unknowingly

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi, @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre I am answering the following question "Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract? " However, I am not sure if am correctly tackling it. Should I mention that my ability/quality makes me suitable to succeed as a trainee at PH?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    My Application Summary Credits: @Legalstalker
    FYI: a mixture of winter, spring and summer vacation schemes + a few direct TCs
    • Total applications this cycle ~ 47
    • Rejections post app: ~ 10
    • Rejections post 1st or 2nd stage: ~20
    • Awaiting to hear from: ~15
    • SJT/VI’s still to do: 1
    • AC's this cycle: 2
    • VS offers: 1 (Spring)
    • Latest rejection: Goodwin
    • Hardest rejection: Gowling WLG (I attended their whole webinar series!!!)
    • Easiest rejection: Weightmans (I didn’t want to move up North anyway)
    • Ghosted me: Stephenson Harwood, EY and Freeths
    • Best Grad Recruitment: Baker McKenzie, Paul Hastings and Ropes & Gray
    • Tedious Application Process: EY (I wouldn’t apply again)
    • If I had converted my first AC, I would have done only 3 applications
    • If I had converted my second AC I would have only done 10 applications
    • If I had converted my third, fourth or fifth AC, I would have done 22 applications
    This is such an amazing way to keep others informed of your progress but also to show how hard it is to just get one offer, I can totally relate to this.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences as I think they will inspire, motivate and encourage others for future cycles.

Congratulations for obtaining a vacation scheme offer and I encourage you to keep working extremely hard and I am sure you will succeed in securing a training contract offer very soon!!

Good luck with everything!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi, @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre I am answering the following question "Why are your skills/attributes suited to a career at Paul Hastings? Why should we offer you a Training Contract? " However, I am not sure if am correctly tackling it. Should I mention that my ability/quality makes me suitable to succeed as a trainee at PH?
    This is essentially a ''why me'' question and I think it pushes to talk about skills or attributes you have developed along the way, whether through university, extracurricular activities or professional experiences, and how these will help you to succeed as a future trainee.

Personally, depending on the word count, I would talk about 2/3 skills you have developed and link them back to how these will help you as a trainee. For example I used to mention how being a blog editor for the rule of law journal at my university made me develop attention to detail through different tasks. After the description of what I was doing, I included how 'attention to detail' in this case will help me succeed as a future trainee at the firm as I will have to pay attention to different documents and make sure they do not contain any errors and things of this nature.

I basically linked the skill I discussed to the task I would use at the firm. Additionally, you should also include a small paragraph answering the last part of the question, elaborating how these skills differentiate you from other people. For example I would discuss here how my language abilities allow me to interact and build relationships with people from different parts of the world and this differentiates me from other people.

I hope these examples help understanding an approach to the question.

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: S87 and Cherikon

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.