TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Looking for input on how long you usually spend per application?

I usually take at least a week or two, and up to 3 weeks on some applications which have had 4-5 questions. I've had 2 successful vac scheme apps last year but also a tonne of rejections, so now I am reconsidering my strategy of taking a long long time to research the firm and make sure every question is perfectly answered, and whether I need to find strategies to be more efficient - so curious how long you usually spend on each app?
It depends on the length of applications and how many questions they ask but try to keep a week as the upper limit vac scheme and TC applications. I also got two vac schemes last year so writing applications noawadays is becoming faster due to this being my second cycle. Sometimes two or three days will be enough but that's just my own findings.

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
White & Case achievements and Extra-curricular activities question. The word limit is 1500, I am at around 1000 so far but unsure if I should bother adding in my Duke of Edinburgh Gold?

Any thoughts? Don't just want to chuck it in there so if I was going to include it think I would need to put some detail into it.

AK001

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
Would appreciate some tips for some of the app questions for Covington:
- For 'Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington' would it be advisable to have a short section (30% of my answer) on why I want to be a commercial solicitor then spend the rest of the answer outlining why Covington (70% of my answer)? Or would it be better to do a 50-50 split between why I want to become a commercial solicitor and why Covington?

- For 'Focusing on a particular practice group at the firm, what challenges and opportunities do you foresee over the next 12 months?' is there a particular structure to use ? I'm thinking of using the SWOT analysis.

Reactions: elyse

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    For the question: Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit), would you split into why law for the first point and then two points about why HSF or three good points about HSF?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the question: Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit), would you split into why law for the first point and then two points about why HSF or three good points about HSF?
    I’d just focus on why HSF.

Reactions: sxw517

Szobo20

Sep 12, 2023
    How important are PGDL grades? I recently attained a mid-commendation but got 50s in four modules (most notably contract). The rest of my academics are strong though (A-Levels and RG university).

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    How important are PGDL grades? I recently attained a mid-commendation but got 50s in four modules (most notably contract). The rest of my academics are strong though (A-Levels and RG university).
    It depends on the firm. Some firms may specify that they require a commendation in the overall PGDL or in individual modules. But I think most firms just ask for a commendation or above overall (don’t quote me on this!) I’ve got low 50s for three modules including contract (although I have mitigating circumstances), and I have a TC. just to be sure, looK at the firm’s grade requirements or if in doubt, just email grad rec for a straight answer. Hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Most firms recognise that learning the PGDL in one year is intense, and especially if you are adapting to. Very different learning style too (for instance, coming from more of a sciences background rather than social science). It’s not to say there will be some firms that do care, and it might be worthwhile spending time networking or contacting the firms you are interested in applying to, and as suggested above asking them directly on what their stance on this is. If they focus their answer on how competitive the recruitment process is, I take that as an indication not to apply, while if they are actively encouraging you to apply and say they will look at your application or academics holistically, then that’s probably a good sign to apply.

Generally seen many middling grade GDL’ers secure TCs though, so really don’t think this will be a blocker unless you are being super selective with the firms you are applying to.

Reactions: Szobo20

Szobo20

Sep 12, 2023
    It depends on the firm. Some firms may specify that they require a commendation in the overall PGDL or in individual modules. But I think most firms just ask for a commendation or above overall (don’t quote me on this!) I’ve got low 50s for three modules including contract (although I have mitigating circumstances), and I have a TC. just to be sure, looK at the firm’s grade requirements or if in doubt, just email grad rec for a straight answer. Hope this helps!
    Great to hear thanks!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Anyone else use The Lawyer's headlines to find info about firms and then (realising the rest of the article is pay-walled) Google the same story for details. The Legal 500 is also excellent.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.