TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Has anyone heard from Hogan Lovells direct TC (applied July) or Slaughter and May direct TC (applied sept)?
No to both. In another thread, someone said HL are only 'properly' reviewing the direct TC apps this week, and are aiming to get back to everyone before the end of the month (seems like a quick turnaround!).
I applied to SM early last week and haven't heard.

I though Slaughters was non-rolling for winter workshop; isn't that what their website says?

I think its rolling? That's why I applied early anyway.

Reactions: legallyells

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
After receiving a TC offer from a US firm after many unsuccessful applications and interviews🥳😁

Thank you all for your advice and support on the forums during this process!!

I would love to give back in whatever way I can, so if anyone has any questions or is looking for advice, please reach out!!
Congratulations @citylaw2025! This is massive!!

• Love
Reactions: Tattyasha

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

If an application asks if you require any reasonable adjustments, can we provide mitigating circumstances? Or should we write about them in the additional question (If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form)? Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

If an application asks if you require any reasonable adjustments, can we provide mitigating circumstances? Or should we write about them in the additional question (If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form)? Thank you in advance
This is just asking you about adjustments you require to the recruitment process. I would not include mitigating circumstances here - I would include them in the extra info section.

Reactions: S87

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hey guys,

Really conflicted about what to do here so any advice from @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone would be much appreciated.

Linklaters is a firm that is at the top of my list.

As I have just done a summer VS at a top US firm (did not convert), I do not know whether to apply for the winter VS or Direct TC. The application process is the exact same for both routes.

What I infer from the website is that the VS is a great way to get to know Linklaters. However, as they offer 100 TC spots a year, I was wondering if anyone knew if most of these go to VS participants.

My fear is being rejected for a VS and then regretting not going for the Direct TC route, especially as a graduate with a VS under my belt.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    P.S. This is what the website states but would still be interested in people's opinions!

"If you are eligible for both, the decision is yours, there is no advantage to applying to one vacancy over another - the application and assessment process is the same. If you have not yet undertaken assessed legal work experience (typically a vacation scheme), we would advise you to apply for a vacation scheme in order to ensure you can make an informed decision about training with us. Please only apply for either a vacation scheme or a training contract at any one time. You may apply for a training contract after making an unsuccessful application for a vacation scheme but please do spend time addressing any feedback you receive. You can only take the online assessment once each academic year. You are able to reapply for a vacancy in the same academic year, but you will not be able to retake the assessment in the same window."

Reactions: axelbeugre

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    P.S. This is what the website states but would still be interested in people's opinions!

"If you are eligible for both, the decision is yours, there is no advantage to applying to one vacancy over another - the application and assessment process is the same. If you have not yet undertaken assessed legal work experience (typically a vacation scheme), we would advise you to apply for a vacation scheme in order to ensure you can make an informed decision about training with us. Please only apply for either a vacation scheme or a training contract at any one time. You may apply for a training contract after making an unsuccessful application for a vacation scheme but please do spend time addressing any feedback you receive. You can only take the online assessment once each academic year. You are able to reapply for a vacancy in the same academic year, but you will not be able to retake the assessment in the same window."
    My take would then be to go for the Vacation Scheme as you kind of have two chances. If you get rejected from VS at the application stage you can still go for it for the direct TC. I suppose there is that gamble that if you did get the VS, maybe you don't convert it, but then it probably wouldn't be right for you anyway?

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018

Hi!

I think it all depends on your current commitments, i.e. full-time work etc. If you think that doing a direct TC is better use of your time then go for it! I think majority of their TCs go to their vac schemes but they heavily recruit from their direct TC pool too.. I don't think there is a clear advantage for one over the other tbh.. just depends on your time commitments and what you think serves you best at this stage. Hope this helps. :)

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)"

This is one of the HSF vac scheme questions. I actually have a legal issue I think is interesting - I assume its still ok to write about this? I'm guessing what they're looking for here is your ability to introduce and explain a topic in a somewhat interesting way, rather than actually find out more about your interests?

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    "Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)"

This is one of the HSF vac scheme questions. I actually have a legal issue I think is interesting - I assume its still ok to write about this? I'm guessing what they're looking for here is your ability to introduce and explain a topic in a somewhat interesting way, rather than actually find out more about your interests?
    I think you could but I interpreted it as that they are looking to find out more about your interests - you won't be penalised if you mention something law related though. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.