TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I’m applying to HSF and reading about past experiences and I realised that even worse than not being invited to HSF's assessment centre is being invited to the assessment centre hahaha
    I am here to confirm this is true. I have just been invited to HSF ASSESSMENT CENTRE!!🥹🥹🥹🥹I am so happy and scared at the same time, I would greatly appreciate any insights or guidance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What is a transactional-focused firm? -- the wording is confusing me. It's just a firm focused on corporate, pe banking etc right?
    I would consider it any practice area where you are moving or restructuring assets of any kind.

Anything that isn’t contentious or advisory work.

Reactions: Aga123+

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

If Covington's application asks us to talk about opportunities/challenges for 'one particular practice group at the firm'

Would this be the standard, Corporate or Litigation department or is it instead referring to a group such as Covington's technology group? I am just a little confused as Covington's website seems to use both interchangeably.

Last edited:

TheTCcommune

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2022

If Covington's application asks us to talk about opportunities/challenges for 'one particular practice group at the firm'

Would this be the standard, Corporate or Litigation department or is it instead referring to a group such as Covington's technology group? I am just a little confused as Covington's website seems to use both interchangeably.
    I'm also struggling with this question in terms of content but re the practice group, I used the insight series separation to determine what they would deem practice group (e.g. litigation, competition, arb, life sciences, tech regulatory etc.) - link here if it's helpful! https://www.cov.com/en/careers/lawyers/london/our-opportunities/covington-insight-series

Reactions: axelbeugre

Chen0106

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2023
    Hey All,

Sorry for the lengthy post.

I have been watching this thread for a while so thought I’d ask for some advice if anyone has some.

I am applying to vacation schemes this year as a graduate, I got a 1st in my law Degree from a non Russell group but I did get a few 2:2 and 2:1 and didn’t get amazing A levels.
    I’m working fulltime in a graduate job right now but wondered if firms will even look at my application having had lower grades in some modules And A level. ( I have mitigating cirumstances for A levels not so module grades).

I have a scholarship to study the Bar course soon but I really want a training contract instead so I am focusing on Winter schemes but have put in for some training contract applications .
    I mostly want to do a winter scheme to get a feel of the firm rathee than jumping into their training contract.

Below are the schemes I hope to apply to/have already.

A&O - Missed deadline to complete tests
    HSF - Missed overall deadline
    Links - Pass Cap test with high scores but don’t do well on WG
    Simmonds - didn’t pass VI
    Clifford chance - WG completed but not heard back
    Slaughter and May - Application under review
    White and Case - Applied not heard back
    Travers Smith - Going to apply
    Covington - Strict on A levels so may not apply
    Jones & Day - Going to apply after opening evening and completed Forage
    NRF - Going to apply have just completed their forage (quite strict on A levels)

I feel I’ve applied to all great firms and I may not be realistic haha

are there any other firms I should look into or any advice others have for the ones I am yet to apply to! I want to stand out as much as I can but I feel like my grades will cloud everything else regardless of the 1st.
    Hi, may I ask whether your Capp report from Linklaters contained exact scores? Mine only indicated where my highest and lowest scores lie in 😢

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I'm also struggling with this question in terms of content but re the practice group, I used the insight series separation to determine what they would deem practice group (e.g. litigation, competition, arb, life sciences, tech regulatory etc.) - link here if it's helpful! https://www.cov.com/en/careers/lawyers/london/our-opportunities/covington-insight-series
    I would include both but it is a bit tricky

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

Whenever approaching questions like this, I always made sure I was targeting a practice group that was very strong at the firm, to show my interest in that particular field and the firm itself. I think they mean technology group, white collar crime group, life sciences group, I remember that these are some of the practice groups Covington excels at, so I would make sure to tackle on of them. Hope that helps! @Ali A

Reactions: Jaysen, Ali A and S87

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I am here to confirm this is true. I have just been invited to HSF ASSESSMENT CENTRE!!🥹🥹🥹🥹I am so happy and scared at the same time, I would greatly appreciate any insights or guidance!
    omg massive congratulations!! when did you pass ur test if u don't mind me asking :') only cuz the wait is killing me

BEST OF LUCK!!

Reactions: juiceboy

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hi! Congratulations for the invite :)

If you don’t mind, what are the dates available for AC?
    There was only one date available for me!! Next Friday, 20 Oct. I think they just allocate you a slot😅 because I didn't have the option to choose another date. However, I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone. (maybe others could choose)

I believe the available date might also depend on when you receive your invitation. If you receive the invitation next week, the earliest available date could be the following week. This is just my personal opinion.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.