Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you mention publications like Roll on Friday or The Lawyer, is it worth citing them, or is this a waste of word count?
A full reference isn’t needed, but the topic is going to be more interesting than the publication but the context of where you learnt about the topic can be helpful - just keep it super short.

Reactions: Tintin06

os111

Jan 22, 2023
Does anyone have experience with booking time off work for a winter VS? I’m applying the HL WVS and I’m worried that if I did somehow get it, it’ll be short notice and I would struggle to book the time off - I’m only a few months into my first job so unsure how it works! Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks !

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Does anyone have experience with booking time off work for a winter VS? I’m applying the HL WVS and I’m worried that if I did somehow get it, it’ll be short notice and I would struggle to book the time off - I’m only a few months into my first job so unsure how it works! Any advice would be really appreciated!! Thanks !
Just book it via normal channels - you don't have to explain why. If you receive any push back from your employer due to short notice, you can always tell a white lie and say it is for something like helping a relative move home or looking after a relative. I know lying isn't ideal but ultimately your employer should also not be making decisions about your leave based on their own perception of what the leave is for either.
Even if this is your first job, my experience is it is not uncommon to book leave for a week around 3 weeks out - you should have enough time I think?

Reactions: juiceboy

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
what kind of job are you in and is your line manager aware you are looking to take time off for internships?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just book it via normal channels - you don't have to explain why. If you receive any push back from your employer due to short notice, you can always tell a white lie and say it is for something like helping a relative move home or looking after a relative. I know lying isn't ideal but ultimately your employer should also not be making decisions about your leave based on their own perception of what the leave is for either.
Even if this is your first job, my experience is it is not uncommon to book leave for a week around 3 weeks out - you should have enough time I think?
Just to stress this isn’t necessarily the case - many employment contracts will restrict you from working elsewhere and working for another employer will have to be declared (and approved) in those instances.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Just to stress this isn’t necessarily the case - many employment contracts will restrict you from working elsewhere and working for another employer will have to be declared (and approved) in those instances.
Yes fair - my (admittedly probably uninformed) take on these clauses in contracts was always to avoid you working two jobs simultaneously (to avoid breaching labour laws and/or have you unfit to work during your hours with that employer). While it probably does still apply if you are working during an annual leave period - I doubt most employers would ever pursue anything against an employee they found out was doing this? Maybe they have?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes fair - my (admittedly probably uninformed) take on these clauses in contracts was always to avoid you working two jobs simultaneously (to avoid breaching labour laws and/or have you unfit to work during your hours with that employer). While it probably does still apply if you are working during an annual leave period - I doubt most employers would ever pursue anything against an employee they found out was doing this? Maybe they have?
It is more complicated than employment laws. For law firms (and many other professional services and public sector organisations) it can also be down to things like conflicts checks.

If there is a clause in your contract that you have to disclose any other interests in other organisations or employment with them, then you will be in breach of contract if you don’t disclose it/get it approved.

And I have seen employees disciplined and terminated on the grounds they didn’t disclose other interests/employment because it led to quite a considerable ethical and regulatory issue.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.