TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

HarryDennis

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2023
I've emailed the firm, but I doubt they'll reply on a Sunday eve! If they don't, I'll likely send confirmation that I'm applying, without sending any personal details or work experience which would compromise anonymity. Then I can call them tomorrow and ask how we should proceed.

Reactions: anasat

Norturn

Premium Member
  • Aug 26, 2023
    Does an email from HSF saying ‘application under review’ mean I passed the test? I saw from previous comments some people got emails saying whether they passed or not but I didnt get anything?
    Hey man! I experienced the same thing.. didn't receive any feedback report for a day after completing the test. However the portal indicated that my application is under review.

I emailed the early careers team regarding this and they confirmed to me that I have met the benchmark. I received an email an hour later from the assessment provider that I have met the benchmark too.

Reactions: spamelinazoid

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Quesiton for advice, i work full time so attending open days/networking is quite the challenge, does anyone think online events are just as good to go to for getting insights into firms? Feel as if it is better than nothing? Feel like its the same as an open day in terms of presentations, just without the networking

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Quesiton for advice, i work full time so attending open days/networking is quite the challenge, does anyone think online events are just as good to go to for getting insights into firms? Feel as if it is better than nothing? Feel like its the same as an open day in terms of presentations, just without the networking
    There will be a selection process for an open day and so they can be a great way to build out your CV, especially if you are lacking legal work experience. They are also a great way of getting your foot in the door and leaving a favourable impression on the firm - I think it is much harder to do this in online events due to the format and number of people attending.

Therefore, if you can afford to take a day or two off work as annual leave to attend them, they can be incredibly useful. However, it’s not like you have to do this - plenty of people either don’t need open days on their applications because other work experience supersedes them, or because they have ties to the firm already.

If you really can’t get the time off work though, then online events are a great alternative.

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    There will be a selection process for an open day and so they can be a great way to build out your CV, especially if you are lacking legal work experience. They are also a great way of getting your foot in the door and leaving a favourable impression on the firm - I think it is much harder to do this in online events due to the format and number of people attending.

Therefore, if you can afford to take a day or two off work as annual leave to attend them, they can be incredibly useful. However, it’s not like you have to do this - plenty of people either don’t need open days on their applications because other work experience supersedes them, or because they have ties to the firm already.

If you really can’t get the time off work though, then online events are a great alternative.
    Thank you! Some firms do host webinar type events on certain practice areas from time to time, if I had an interest in that pracrice area, would these be good to attend and mentioning in applications?

Claristered

Mar 17, 2022
    Hi guys! I know it is on a rolling basis but I was only able to submit my application to BCLP’s spring vacation scheme today. Do you know when I should expect to hear back and be asked to do the situational judgment test? Thank you so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.