TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

MayaM0921

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre I have got a question regarding language skills specifically for you if that's ok. Can you recommend some ways to leverage language skills in a more concrete manner (aka more than saying, this skill can allow me to take advantage of the firm's global resources)? I am exclusively referring to languages with full proficiency here. Many thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre I have got a question regarding language skills specifically for you if that's ok. Can you recommend some ways to leverage language skills in a more concrete manner (aka more than saying, this skill can allow me to take advantage of the firm's global resources)? I am exclusively referring to languages with full proficiency here. Many thanks!
Hey @MayaM0921 thank you so much for the question.
What I used to do was:

• Explain how my language skills helped me during a specific internship: for example I remember explaining how, during an internship, I was able to translate specific terms from a French contract to English for the clients the organisation I was interning with was working for. Through a similar explanation, you are able to convey the fact that you know a language and you are capable of using to help your clients.
  • Discuss how the languages you know will allow you to build rapport with clients coming from different countries. I remember that during my Goodwin interview one partner asked me why do you think knowing multiple languages is important as a lawyer? I replied saying that speaking a foreign language does not only mean understanding what someone is saying or has written but it is also about understanding the facial and body expressions that we communicate involuntarily. As an Italian, there are certain traits I will pick up on that might tell you if the client is upset even though he is not necessarily saying it out loud. One of the partners was impressed by this answer cause it is not something we think about frequently but it is true indeed! You could discuss something like this in a written answer/cover letter or maybe in an interview like I did!
  • Connect how your language abilities could be beneficial especially in certain practice areas like international arbitration or antitrust where you will be exposed to foreign clients and you might be asked to translate some documents sometimes. Talking to lawyers in different firms, it seems as though these are two of the practice areas where knowing a foreign language really helps. However, I am sure that there other practice areas where you could explain how this skill might be relevant.
I hope these can help you! Good luck with everything!

How do I respond to the question? Where do I see myself in 5 years at the firm?

I'm only in my final year of university and even if I am lucky to start my TC in Sep 2025, I wouldn't even be 25 years old 5 years from now so what more can I say than hopefully a junior associate working globally for high-profile firms?

Help me out pls I've got an interview next week

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do I respond to the question? Where do I see myself in 5 years at the firm?

I'm only in my final year of university and even if I am lucky to start my TC in Sep 2025, I wouldn't even be 25 years old 5 years from now so what more can I say than hopefully a junior associate working globally for high-profile firms?

Help me out pls I've got an interview next week
Don’t think about this in terms of age, think about it more about where you will be in your journey.

Rather than stating something obvious (eg you will either be qualified or close to qualified working on international matters - this is something all candidates could say that are applying to the firm), think more about where you want to be in terms of skills, knowledge, what type of work you want to be involved in. For instance, do you want to build up knowledge of a particular industry. Do you want to have become more skilled in a particular aspect of a lawyers work? Do you want to be involved in something more specific at the firm - even if that is something outside of fee earning such as having an active role in a particular employee network group or the firm’s pro Bono activities.

The importance with this answer is presenting your unique aspirations whilst presenting a realistic expectation of where you will be in five years time.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.