TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Jones day PFO, honestly don’t know what these firms want. This even after speaking with them at an event and applying those in my cover letter. Talk about linking your own experiences to the firm and still get rejected, well….
I don't know why you thought that would get you an AC? They speak to loads of students at events and they won't all get an AC (rightly so because it means nothing and the staff won't even remember you)

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
I don't know why you thought that would get you an AC? They speak to loads of students at events and they won't all get an AC (rightly so because it means nothing and the staff won't even remember you)
It doesn’t guarantee an AC, but interacting with a firm and including the insights on your app does improve the chance of securing one. I think what you’ve written is very discouraging in an already competitive process 🤷🏾‍♀️

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
It doesn’t guarantee an AC, but interacting with a firm and including the insights on your app does improve the chance of securing one. I think what you’ve written is very discouraging in an already competitive process 🤷🏾‍♀️
HSF rejection even though I attended their open day. This can't be right? I awkwardly waffled to their associate for 2 mins and even added them on LinkedIn! This has got to be a mistake surely? Should I e-mail them to make sure?

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I think the OP is aware that the firm would have spoken to other students too and of course an AC is not guaranteed as a result. However, the tone of your message isn't very kind. It is clear that the OP is disheartened so if you do not have anything encouraging to say, I think it's best not to comment at all.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    HSF rejection even though I attended their open day. This can't be right? I awkwardly waffled to their associate for 2 mins and even added them on LinkedIn! This has got to be a mistake surely? Should I e-mail them to make sure?
    I do not understand your attitude, but I have been on this forum for a while and we are kind because the process is brutal. Attending events can help you a lot but it also does not, you never know. For example, last year, I attended a virtual event and interacted with the firm's trainees. I included the information in my cover letter and interview. Guess what? I got a vacation scheme, yes I did not convert it but learnt a lot and got to experience working at a US firm! Be kind dude!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    I think the OP is aware that the firm would have spoken to other students too and of course an AC is not guaranteed as a result. However, the tone of your message isn't very kind. It is clear that the OP is disheartened so if you do not have anything encouraging to say, I think it's best not to comment at all.
    What I am seeing is a guy who thinks he's entitled to an AC based on the fact he attended their open day, when I am here grafting everyday working on writing my applications.

It is clear to me that he thinks attendance at an open day should bag him an AC spot. This is wrong - what will you get you an AC and subsequently a TC is hard work and determination.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    I do not understand your attitude, but I have been on this forum for a while and we are kind because the process is brutal. Attending events can help you a lot but it also does not, you never know. For example, last year, I attended a virtual event and interacted with the firm's trainees. I included the information in my cover letter and interview. Guess what? I got a vacation scheme, yes I did not convert it but learnt a lot and got to experience working at a US firm! Be kind dude!
    You would have gotten the VS regardless lmao

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    What I am seeing is a guy who thinks he's entitled to an AC based on the fact he attended their open day, when I am here grafting everyday working on writing my applications.

It is clear to me that he thinks attendance at an open day should bag him an AC spot. This is wrong - what will you get you an AC and subsequently a TC is hard work and determination.
    Lawapplicant strikes again, another cycle of bringing his misery onto others. You were notorious for doing this exact thing last cycle and was warned by @Jessica Booker. Just stop.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Lawapplicant strikes again, another cycle of bringing his misery onto others. You were notorious for doing this exact thing last cycle and was warned by @Jessica Booker. Just stop.
    If I 'bring misery' onto you from my posts then I apologise but I will not be censored from giving my opinion. What I said was acceptable and not abusive in anyway. Tag Jess all you want. My post won't get removed and I won't get banned lol.

legallyells

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023

We can all acknowledge that everyone on this platform is ‘grafting everyday’ on their applications. This is a fabulous community of supportive and determined individuals. We stick together through the gruelling tribulations of the competitive application processes.

I think the most important takeaway is the attribute that will get you an AC is authenticity, warmth and personability…NOT by putting others down with pure nastiness.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    We can all acknowledge that everyone on this platform is ‘grafting everyday’ on their applications. This is a fabulous community of supportive and determined individuals. We stick together through the gruelling tribulations of the competitive application processes.

I think the most important takeaway is the attribute that will get you an AC is authenticity, warmth and personability…NOT by putting others down with pure nastiness.
    This thread is being de-railed and I don't want that to happen.

If you think what I said was nasty then report my post.

I am keeping my post up and saying no more.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi guys! I need some input.. I am planning to do my A&O vac scheme test on the deadline day around 11am (deadline is 5pm).. Is this ok?? A&O recruit on a non rolling basis as well.

I want to prep more for the VI and take it when I feel more confident. I am also worried applying on the deadline day will put me in a disadvantaged position. Please advise 🙏🏻

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.