TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I've just received a rejection email from HSF after attending their AC. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, especially since I felt the process went rather positively. According to their feedback, I performed well in the scenario-based interview and I really showcased my skills in the competency-based interview. I'm genuinely so confused right now. The case study might not have been my strongest point, but I genuinely believed I'd done enough to prove my worth.

I've dedicated six years to legal education, pouring my heart, soul, time, and energy into the field. I've seized every opportunity that came my way, and I've always tried to give my best in every situation. It feels disheartening to continually face rejections, especially after investing so much into a firm I truly admired.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my own abilities, my efforts, and even my place in this field. Is there anyone here who has experienced something similar? How did you cope? How did you find the strength to move forward and keep pushing? I'm genuinely curious to understand what makes one successful in these assessment centres and where I might be going wrong. When I talked with trainees at law firms, many mention, "This was my first assessment centre," or "I didn't even look into other firms because I received an offer here after an interview." Surprisingly, I haven't heard anyone discuss the challenges of getting in. Is there something I'm missing? Despite having a First-Class law degree and a Distinction in my LPC, I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The HSF Assessment Centre was notably challenging from a legal perspective. I've learned that there were participants during the AC, or even a current trainee I spoke to, who had backgrounds in areas like biochemistry. I genuinely wonder how individuals from such diverse educational backgrounds can excel in a legal case study, especially in contract law, while I, with six years of legal education, found it challenging. I'm genuinely seeking insight into this disparity in performance, and I'm open to any explanations or feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to clarify this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice, shared experiences, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
    To be honest, I started applying for smaller/mid-size firms rather than 'BigLaw'. I did apply to the odd larger one, or a small intake US, but they weren't necessarily the typical ones we see on this forum. 9 time out of 10 my applications went past the written stage in my last 2 cycles

I also began working as a Paralegal after my LPC so I could better tailor my 'why law' questions with tangible experience from my role. I checked Legal 500, Chambers (any other directory etc.) to find firms that had good reputation in practice areas and I could see transactions they worked on. I could sell why x firm by having genuine research and linking it to my own experience of similar deals in a private m&a, real estate sphere.

Occasionally I would message a trainee at a firm. If you do this, ask ACTUAL QUESTIONS you want to know the answers to, and I never wanted to come across overly formal or sycophantic. For example, 'I'm interested in private m&a and small market deals. What can you tell me about that department/trainee role? What's the office setting like etc./?

I got my offer when I was 23 and I qualified 2 years later. On qualifying, I've never looked back. I could maker a collage with the hundreds of VC, TC, Paralegal applications I made but I don't need to anymore. I've got my career to look forward to.

It can be done and I can't stress how naff the process is. Re-evaluate what's worked (which is clearly a lot if you're getting to this stage), ask what practice areas, you like and start afresh. Don't give up!

saraeali

Nov 18, 2022
    @Jessica Booker I'd really appreciate your help with this question, please:
    "Focusing on one of Reed Smith’s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges could this present Reed Smith or our clients?"

Are they asking about an industry (ie oil & gas) or can it also be a practice area?

Many thanks

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I've just received a rejection email from HSF after attending their AC. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, especially since I felt the process went rather positively. According to their feedback, I performed well in the scenario-based interview and I really showcased my skills in the competency-based interview. I'm genuinely so confused right now. The case study might not have been my strongest point, but I genuinely believed I'd done enough to prove my worth.

I've dedicated six years to legal education, pouring my heart, soul, time, and energy into the field. I've seized every opportunity that came my way, and I've always tried to give my best in every situation. It feels disheartening to continually face rejections, especially after investing so much into a firm I truly admired.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my own abilities, my efforts, and even my place in this field. Is there anyone here who has experienced something similar? How did you cope? How did you find the strength to move forward and keep pushing? I'm genuinely curious to understand what makes one successful in these assessment centres and where I might be going wrong. When I talked with trainees at law firms, many mention, "This was my first assessment centre," or "I didn't even look into other firms because I received an offer here after an interview." Surprisingly, I haven't heard anyone discuss the challenges of getting in. Is there something I'm missing? Despite having a First-Class law degree and a Distinction in my LPC, I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The HSF Assessment Centre was notably challenging from a legal perspective. I've learned that there were participants during the AC, or even a current trainee I spoke to, who had backgrounds in areas like biochemistry. I genuinely wonder how individuals from such diverse educational backgrounds can excel in a legal case study, especially in contract law, while I, with six years of legal education, found it challenging. I'm genuinely seeking insight into this disparity in performance, and I'm open to any explanations or feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to clarify this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice, shared experiences, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
    First of all - congrats on the AC! The process is so future driven it can be easy to forget to celebrate how far you have come on the way. If you can get to an AC then fundamentally you are doing everything right to get to that stage, as the initial stages are so competitive.

It took me 3 cycles of applying to get an offer, so you are not alone in feeling behind or not good enough. Ultimately, you didn't perform on the day, but this doesn't mean you wouldn't on a different day. I think at HSF non-law students are assessed slightly differently. I would seek out feedback - this may not have gone as bad as you think. Additionally, many firms do not access this way, so it won't necessarily be the same the next time. I am sure you will be successful soon!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021

hey i dont know how helpful it'll be but I just want to echo what everyone else is replying with, it most definitely is a future driven process and congrats to even getting to an ac; you're definitely doing something right given its such an incredibly competitive process

as most, I had the same feelings as you do after my first post-ac rejection and so like many, I can completely empathise with you on that aspect. when you get that rejection it kind of hits you like a truck as to how much effort has gone into this process and looking at a rejection like that can sometimes make it feel all futile! it took me a while to actually reflect on my ac before i jumped back into this cycle but its something id recommend you to do as well. try and be external when assessing your day, i used to break mine down and try and assess where i felt short once i took the emotional aspect out of it and honestly it might help motivate you to bounce back!

ig the silver lining in this is that now you actually have an experience w an AC, so when you get to your next and your next, you're already equipped with a set of experience that can help guide you! i always try and preach about how 'rejection is redirection' and honestly in this process, you have to faith in that and really believe that something better and something more suited is out there for you (at least i try to believe it!)

keep your chin up because it is an incredibly competitive process and jus remember if you did it before, you'll do it again and with this experience you'll do it right next time as well :) try not to feel too disheartened, this whole process genuinely is a learning curve at the end of the day

best of luck, we're all rooting for you!! <33

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I'm sure you're a great person but they just didn't like you.

This process is not about choosing the smartest, most hard working people.

In fact, they probably don't want that trainee inadvertently affecting fragile associate or partner egos.

So they only hire people they like or the client would like to see, fill any quotas for PR, and even choose those they want to hit on later.

The greatest thing you can do is accept this. Beauty pageants are not just in law. Sometimes it helps to be a little ditzy and dumb.
    Some of the responses on this forum appear to be veering into questionable territory, and I'm genuinely uncertain whether this is intended as satire or you are being serious...

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023

I honestly do not have any advice but I can relate to this so much. The one and only AC I made came after doing WG, Verbal Reasoning and VI, but when the feedback came, it was like they were describing someone else. I wanted to learn from it but seemed like I was not fit for them at all, even though I made it to the final stage after passing all of their "assessment mechanisms"??? I guess it is a matter of applying to different category of firms and persistence.

Reactions: axelbeugre

baj5

Oct 19, 2023

It is completely normal to feel that way. I do all the time. I’ve done the firm internships, even mini pupillages, graduated with a high 2.1, went to a top 14 us school for my LLM and got a merit scholarship and I am getting nowhere, constantly wondering whether the past 7 years of my life were an utter waste. They weren’t, and neither were yours, but it’s hard to see that when you’re in the thick of it. Stay strong x

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Some of the responses on this forum appear to be veering into questionable territory, and I'm genuinely uncertain whether this is intended as satire or you are being serious...
    I 100% agree with @taylorkelce's comment. When there are so many qualified candidates at the AC stage, so many small factors will be taken into account to decide who gets an offer including whether the interviewer liked your personality or whether they think the firm's clients will like you, whether you fit in their diversity quota (both in terms of ethnicity, socio-economic background or university attended) and so on. It's not a 100% meritocratic process, which is normal given that interviewers are humans too

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I 100% agree with @taylorkelce's comment. When there are so many qualified candidates at the AC stage, so many small factors will be taken into account to decide who gets an offer including whether the interviewer liked your personality or whether they think the firm's clients will like you, whether you fit in their diversity quota (both in terms of ethnicity, socio-economic background or university attended) and so on. It's not a 100% meritocratic process, which is normal given that interviewers are humans too

Absolutely, I completely understand the importance of fitting into the firm's culture and being client-centric and personable. However, TaylorKelce's analogy to a beauty pageant is quite misplaced. While it's essential to possess social skills and adapt to the workplace environment, it's entirely inappropriate and baseless to suggest that one needs to be 'ditsy and dumb'. Such a statement not only undermines the intelligence and capabilities of individuals but is also quite frankly, laughable...

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I'm sure you're a great person but they just didn't like you.

This process is not about choosing the smartest, most hard working people.

In fact, they probably don't want that trainee inadvertently affecting fragile associate or partner egos.

So they only hire people they like or the client would like to see, fill any quotas for PR, and even choose those they want to hit on later.

The greatest thing you can do is accept this. Beauty pageants are not just in law. Sometimes it helps to be a little ditzy and dumb.
    This is a very, very strange and childish post. Completely nonsense and unhelpful for the forum (posted by a premium member too!?)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Tell me you've never had a City job or never even been on Roll on Friday without telling me.
    Roll on Friday is probably one of the most far from reality environments in the legal sector that you can possibly get. It’s purposely provocative and the articles, comments, threads, discussion boards all play up to that.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    I just did Arctic shore for NRf and really not sure about the whole process. I currently take anti-depressants that affect my brain processing speed. I react really slowly to everything and Arctic test requires you to be just really awake through out the whole test. Is this something I need to talk to the grad rec about?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.