TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
I've just received a rejection email from HSF after attending their AC. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, especially since I felt the process went rather positively. According to their feedback, I performed well in the scenario-based interview and I really showcased my skills in the competency-based interview. I'm genuinely so confused right now. The case study might not have been my strongest point, but I genuinely believed I'd done enough to prove my worth.

I've dedicated six years to legal education, pouring my heart, soul, time, and energy into the field. I've seized every opportunity that came my way, and I've always tried to give my best in every situation. It feels disheartening to continually face rejections, especially after investing so much into a firm I truly admired.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my own abilities, my efforts, and even my place in this field. Is there anyone here who has experienced something similar? How did you cope? How did you find the strength to move forward and keep pushing? I'm genuinely curious to understand what makes one successful in these assessment centres and where I might be going wrong. When I talked with trainees at law firms, many mention, "This was my first assessment centre," or "I didn't even look into other firms because I received an offer here after an interview." Surprisingly, I haven't heard anyone discuss the challenges of getting in. Is there something I'm missing? Despite having a First-Class law degree and a Distinction in my LPC, I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The HSF Assessment Centre was notably challenging from a legal perspective. I've learned that there were participants during the AC, or even a current trainee I spoke to, who had backgrounds in areas like biochemistry. I genuinely wonder how individuals from such diverse educational backgrounds can excel in a legal case study, especially in contract law, while I, with six years of legal education, found it challenging. I'm genuinely seeking insight into this disparity in performance, and I'm open to any explanations or feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to clarify this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice, shared experiences, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Just to echo some other comments, getting an AC in itself is one of the biggest wins so don’t knock that!
And also, really hone in on the fact the process is as much for you as it is for them..
I’d suggest waiting for feedback but I was rejected post-ac from the same firm across two cycles and their “feedback” almost made no sense. It was all good and they just said to do “more” of each good trait they mentioned. It told me the exact kinda person they were looking for, which is an overly extroverted big character and that just isn’t me! I’ve never applied again and won’t, your vibe won’t match every firm’s image and sometimes it will but you just need more AC experience under your belt and helpful feedback :)

*This isn’t to say every rejection = a firm isn’t for you, most people get their dream firm on a repeat cycle but listen to your gut when getting feedback!

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Yes I'm sure all the weekly BigLaw fraud, crime, and harassment cases over a decade are all made up.

So are the hundreds of comments from employees that make up the yearly lists of best and worst places.
    Yeah this weird comment is totally related to a link I shared about staff having magic hats on their website chap

adyloop.gif

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    I just did Arctic shore for NRf and really not sure about the whole process. I currently take anti-depressants that affect my brain processing speed. I react really slowly to everything and Arctic test requires you to be just really awake through out the whole test. Is this something I need to talk to the grad rec about?
    I think you should definitely be telling graduate recruitment about this. I’m not sure if Jessica may be able to give you her opinion, but I worked in recruitment before and we had a candidate who suffered anxiety and was on medication at the time which affected her speed and fatigue.

Although I know the two are different, and it can often be difficult to mitigate against, I remember we had to call her to ask what she required because we were not sure how to approach her particular situation. In fact, I think she was given breaks throughout the day whenever she needed. We had to make the assessors aware that if she needs to break at any point or leave the room then it should be allowed.

It is a discussion you will need to have with the firms you’re applying for as reasonable adjustments are not a one size fits all regime. It will depend on what you need at all stages of the application process.

Don’t hide it out of fear it will hold you back, because it’s not an equitable playing field otherwise.

Good luck xx

Last edited:

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Just to echo some other comments, getting an AC in itself is one of the biggest wins so don’t knock that!
    And also, really hone in on the fact the process is as much for you as it is for them..
    I’d suggest waiting for feedback but I was rejected post-ac from the same firm across two cycles and their “feedback” almost made no sense. It was all good and they just said to do “more” of each good trait they mentioned. It told me the exact kinda person they were looking for, which is an overly extroverted big character and that just isn’t me! I’ve never applied again and won’t, your vibe won’t match every firm’s image and sometimes it will but you just need more AC experience under your belt and helpful feedback :)

*This isn’t to say every rejection = a firm isn’t for you, most people get their dream firm on a repeat cycle but listen to your gut when getting feedback!
    Thank you for sharing your experience and insights!! I understand these processes aren't always as personalised as they claim to be.

I did receive a feedback report with my rejection email from HSF, and I was genuinely disappointed. To my surprise, after discussing with someone else from the AC, we found out that our feedback reports were identical! It feels quite dismissive, especially when they mentioned in the email that the report was specifically tailored to me based on the partner's observations and my specific performance🤣 It's disheartening to see that after putting so much effort and time into their assessment process, they couldn't provide unique and actionable feedback!

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Thank you for sharing your experience and insights!! I understand these processes aren't always as personalised as they claim to be.

I did receive a feedback report with my rejection email from HSF, and I was genuinely disappointed. To my surprise, after discussing with someone else from the AC, we found out that our feedback reports were identical! It feels quite dismissive, especially when they mentioned in the email that the report was specifically tailored to me based on the partner's observations and my specific performance🤣 It's disheartening to see that after putting so much effort and time into their assessment process, they couldn't provide unique and actionable feedback!
    I would ask if you could have any further feedback- it may be that they say no but it’s worth a try

Reactions: axelbeugre

SR99

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    I recently applied to Withers for a direct TC. I got rejected but they have told me they strongly encourage me to re-apply and to email HR when I do. Has this happened to anyone else before? When I re-apply do you think I need to change my application answers? I only applied in July and apps re-open in Nov.

Reactions: yasmars

Marios Z

Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2022
    Is anyone else still waiting for HSF? Because I see some people are invited for AC's and others got rejected, but I did not get rejected or selected 🥲.

Also, how long does it take to get the results for Arctic Shores.

KGNines

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    Has anyone applied to a Hogan Lovells vacation scheme and their Lift Off programme and knows if you can repeat the examples provided for the supporting questions in each?
    I was told that your answers can repeat and overlap for separate applications, however I am not sure to what extent i.e. whether it can be word for word or not. Would it be frowned upon if you copied your answer to a supporting question in their vacation scheme application to use as an example for a personal achievement in the Lift Off application?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Has anyone applied to a Hogan Lovells vacation scheme and their Lift Off programme and knows if you can repeat the examples provided for the supporting questions in each?
    I was told that your answers can repeat and overlap for separate applications, however I am not sure to what extent i.e. whether it can be word for word or not. Would it be frowned upon if you copied your answer to a supporting question in their vacation scheme application to use as an example for a personal achievement in the Lift Off application?
    Both of mines are the exact same. I applied for TC and lift off and I got a lift off WG invite today. :)

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Does anyone know when DLA Piper closed their applications last year? I know that they close as soon as they have enough applicants to fill their spots. I'm still working on my application and getting stressed that they will close before I'm ready to send it 😣

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.