TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Agreed, it would be good if there was a breakdown somewhere with this data (although the list of firms provided earlier was good). Does anyone also have an insight into what the conversation process is like for different firms. I.e. post vac scheme interviews/feedback from your supervisors, or do some VS just fast track you to a TC AC (in which case is it really worth it if one can also do a direct TC application)?
    This depends a lot:

Some firms will set assessments during/ at the end of a VS and only assess through those assessments

Some firms will do assessments and judge based on these and feedback from supervisors

Some firms set no assessments at all and purely base it off feedback on performance.

However a VS is assessed, doing the scheme is a great experience and will give you the deepest possible insight into a firm without working there, helping you in interviews as well as also being helpful for future applications even if you don’t convert.

mg1

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 25, 2023
    This is so weird! Can anyone clarify?
    Copied from NRF website, which aligns with my own experience so far. No mention of WG and I certainly didn't do one before the telephone interview!

Application Process​

• Upon submitting your online application form, your application will be screened against our criteria and, if successful, you will be invited to complete an online NRF bespoke psychometric test.
    • If you meet the minimum benchmark for our psychometric assessment you will be invited to conduct a telephone interview with a member of the Graduate Recruitment team. Passing this, you will be invited to a virtual assessment centre.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Application Update - Last posted 17/10/23

Bank of England Trainee solicitor programme - Completed online tests
    White and Case WVS- Application sent
    Hogan Lovell TC- Application sent
    Hogan Lovell Lift off - WG Complete
    NRF WVS - Application sent (No test received assuming PFO)
    Stephenson Harwood WVS - Application sent
    Cleary Gottlieb WVS - Application sent
    Travers Smith WVS -Application sent
    Gowling TC - Application sent
    Mayer Brown TC - Application Sent
    CMS TC - WG invite (to be completed)
    A&O TC - Application Sent (test and Vi to be completed)

PFO Heaven
    Sidley - PFO
    Jones Day - PFO
    Slaughter and May TC - PFO
    Linklaters - Failed WG - PFO
    Simmons - Failed VI - PFO
    Clifford chance TC - Failed WG - PFO

Pending Applications
    Mischon De Reya SVS - Application Pending
    HSF SVS - Application Pending
    Freshfields - Application pending

I am not applying to any Summer Vacation schemes online winter, possibly Spring and Direct TC.
    Has anyone done of the firms above and have progressed further than I have and when did you apply?

Not feeling very hopeful at all!
    Hey, when did you hear back from BoE?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I don't think they send invites in batches!
    They might not, I am unsure! When I received my invite and had to book our group exercise (it felt a bit weird being able to choose when you did your group exercise!). I saw there were three slots available for both Wednesday and Thursday next week - none were greyed and all seemed pretty free still, so might have just rushed to book it!

Reactions: Louise59

plteo22

Standard Member
    Nov 1, 2023
    They might not, I am unsure! When I received my invite and had to book our group exercise (it felt a bit weird being able to choose when you did your group exercise!). I saw there were three slots available for both Wednesday and Thursday next week - none were greyed and all seemed pretty free still, so might have just rushed to book it!
    Ah Congrats! Should I assume no news is bad news then or is it still too early to tell?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.