TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi I'm really interested in your News technique. Could you show and example of what that looks like?
Hey @chris2812morris,

So I used to have a template with the piece of news or information about the firm that I found interesting, let's say Latham's Africa practice and a new oil and gas deal made in South Africa for instance. Then I wrote, next to this information, my personal connection to this information that made me interested in the firm and that practice in the first place, in my case, the fact that I am originally from West Africa and I would love to work on deals linked to the African continent.

Does that make sense? It might not for some people but it was a good way for me to find a genuine link between the firm's specialities and my background, whether professional or personal.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen and NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Can I ask how to answer the questions like" summarize the prize, scholarships" on the application form? if I do not received any scholarship from a law firm, how can I answer that? Or can I write some awards from my community or any pro bono volunteer projects?
With this question I am pretty sure that the firm is not necessarily requiring to talk about the scholarship from the firm itself but any scholarship, award or prize you have won in your academic career!

I never received a scholarship from any firm so I always talked about the scholarships I received from my undergraduate degree and my master or any other award for extracurricular activities such as debate competition or sport events.

I hope that clears your doubt and good luck with the application cycle! @Cynthia14

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    With this question I am pretty sure that the firm is not necessarily requiring to talk about the scholarship from the firm itself but any scholarship, award or prize you have won in your academic career!

I never received a scholarship from any firm so I always talked about the scholarships I received from my undergraduate degree and my master or any other award for extracurricular activities such as debate competition or sport events.

I hope that clears your doubt and good luck with the application cycle! @Cynthia14
    thanks for explanation!

Reactions: axelbeugre

catlover123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2023
    Wait for the people who have done the NRF Articshore Test - did you guys also recieve feedback for the test cuz I didn’t. I swear with every test you complete with a law firm - you receive a feedback performance ???. FYI I did the AS test last week Monday and I haven’t heard back?
    You don't receive a feedback report on the AS test. During my telephone interview I asked for my score and they gave it to me then, but I'm sure you can email grad rec and they'll do the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just to add to this @Cynthia14 it doesn’t need to be academic prizes either. It can be “employee of the month” awards or other things you have gained from work experience, hobbies, interests etc

islasorna

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 29, 2023
    Received an email from DLA Piper saying I achieved their benchmark for VI and they are now shortlisting people for AC... anyone received the same? I applied for the Leeds office
    Hey, congrats of getting though the process! Can I ask if you have any advice for the VI? And is there a time limit to prepare for each question then around 2 minutes to answer? With the VI I've done so far, the only consistency is that I've had 2 minutes to answer - but some had 90secs, 2 minutes or even untimed prep time, so finding it hard to gauge for this one.

gch1997

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    mishcon VI! I applied end of sept and this is for the spring scheme :) im quite hit or miss with VI's so any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!!
    Hi, I did this last month! You have to answer three questions, and you have 15 seconds between reading the answer to having to record your answer which is up to a maximum of 45 seconds. You can't re-record your answers.

• Love
    Reactions: missingh

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hey! Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to prepare for the Pinsent Masons blended assessment?
    I don't think you can prepare beyond nailing your motivations for applying. There is a numerical and verbal reasoning element, a situational judgement element, two VI questions that are motivational, and a written case study. I don't know if they're practice situational judgement test that you can do in advance, but essentially just think about how you would act in professional situations. It is quite a long assessment: they say an hour, but it's untimed and I took almost 90 minutes.

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Can someone confirm if these are the DLA Qs:

At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)

At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)

* If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi there!

Has anyone got advice on what to put on the cover letter for Sullivan, and how long it should be?
    Hey @HMB,

I applied to the firm last year and some tips I would share is:
    • The firm really values a strong academic performance so make sure you do have that to maximise your chances (both in high school/A-Levels and university)
    • For the cover letter, use the why law, why the firm and why me structure. Mine was 700 words and I also talked to other people who applied to the firm last year too and they all wrote 700 words more or less.
    • Make sure to highlight the strengths of the firm like the general practice which is unique to them and their excellence in corporate M&A, their most important transactions, and always make sure you link these back to why you are interested in them.
    • Reach out to future trainees on LinkedIn as they will be able to tell you what made them successful in the process. Talking to future trainees was essential to make sure I understood how to write the cover letter in an effective and efficient manner.
    Good luck with the application!

Reactions: HMB and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.