Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thoughts on a 2 page covering letter? There really isnt anything that I would like to remove..
I would very much expect this to be too long. It’s not really about what you would like to include, it’s more about what are the few key messages you should include.

I suspect you are trying to include too much to show the variety of your experiences and motivations, but you will need to be more selective as to what is the most persuasive. Alternatively if you are limiting the number of points you are making, you are then going into too much detail.

Most cover letters can fit on one page, especially if they have no formal formatting. Many firms will explicitly tell you it cannot be more than 1 page as well. At most I think a page and a bit (no more than a page and a half) is more than enough.

There is a real risk that the longer it is the more likely it is not to be read either at all or thoroughly enough.

rkmg2510

Premium Member
Oct 27, 2023
Hey everyone,
Just wondering what your approach to the following question would be: 'Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm? (350 words)' for HWF VS. Would you structure the answer in two parts broken down into a. why a solicitor and b. why at an international firm, or see it solely as focused on the international firm component?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I applied to Irwin mitchell yesterday and their preliminary questions asked if I had already started my LPC. when I clicked no, it said "if you have not completed the LPC when offered a TC, you will undertake the SQE as a Graduate Solicitor Apprentice'. Is there a major difference between these two routes and is there any place I can find out more info about them? (I also don't know how much of an impact this change will have on me since I am an international student).
The only difference between the routes is that as a graduate apprentice you work alongside completing your SQE studies. It is technically a shorter period to qualify compared to a year of studying and then two years as a trainee. As you are working from the outset and the graduate solicitor apprentice takes between 27-33 months (time is dependent on you being a law or non-law graduate), you will either need sponsorship or the right to work in the UK for more than 2 years though. A post-graduate work visa would not be a sufficient amount of time to cover an graduate apprenticeship (but it also tends to not be sufficient for a traditional TC too though).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Bubbles

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Hey everyone,
    Just wondering what your approach to the following question would be: 'Why do you want to be a solicitor at an international law firm? (350 words)' for HWF VS. Would you structure the answer in two parts broken down into a. why a solicitor and b. why at an international firm, or see it solely as focused on the international firm component?
    I got the same exact question. @Jessica Booker any thoughts?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey everyone,
    The way I would structure is broken down into two parts as you said: Why you want to be a solicitor and why at an international firm, focusing specifically on the international side of things.

Make sure to mention your reasons as to why you are interested in an international law firm and link them back to you. I think that the first part can be a little bit shorter than the second but all and all this would be the structure I would follow. This is because it exhaustively answers the question and it allows you to convey your genuine interest in the profession and at an international firm.

When picking your reasons for why an international firm, make sure to pick things that are very specific to HWF otherwise you would risk to be too generic and that might work against you.

I hope these tips help and good luck @rkmg2510

Reactions: Jaysen

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    If a firm states on its website "please note we are unable to employ you unless you have the right to work in the UK at the date the role commences and for the duration of the contract" - does this mean they don't offer sponsorships?

This is Hill Dickinson btw - I can't find any info about sponsorships. If anyone knows their grad rec email address pls send it through!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    If a firm states on its website "please note we are unable to employ you unless you have the right to work in the UK at the date the role commences and for the duration of the contract" - does this mean they don't offer sponsorships?

This is Hill Dickinson btw - I can't find any info about sponsorships. If anyone knows their grad rec email address pls send it through!
    Yes, that is exactly what they mean unfortunately!

emilyding

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    Hi guys, I just got my WG report for Linklaters Open Day and the result is not favourable (below 50%) - this is my first time doing the test and does anyone have tips on how to improve it?

I know Linklaters doest't allow us to retake WG - provided my low score, should I still apply for their vacation scheme?

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    I also got my WG score back from Linklaters I got 15% Percentile but I got 23/40 questions right which means I scored 57% accuracy. Does that mean I passed the test right - I am confused??

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    Hi guys, I just got my WG report for Linklaters Open Day and the result is not favourable (below 50%) - this is my first time doing the test and does anyone have tips on how to improve it?

I know Linklaters doest't allow us to retake WG - provided my low score, should I still apply for their vacation scheme?
    I don’t know if they look at your percentile or your actual answers - what did you get out of 40?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.