TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
With all the applications and building yourself up for tests, VIs, and interviews, how do you all deal with the mental toll of the application cycle? And doing each stage, how do you all best deal with jitters/nerves/anxiety to ensure it doesn't interfere with your performance?
It is definitely difficult for everyone and I totally relate to this feeling. Last year, when I was applying, it really took a toll on me, let's not even dive into the rejections which are to be expected.

I would say that one of the most important things for me was taking time out and focus on doing things that were not law related. I forced myself to stop checking my exams every two seconds and I tried to go on long walks after each assessment I was taking to clear my head. This helped me a lot with distressing and clear my head.

I also used to practice for every assessment with friends and this made the process of preparing for assessment centres way easier, calmer and funner for me, so if you can I would highly recommend to practice with friends and family. This also helped massively with dealing with anxiety because during the interviews or assessments, I just remembered how fun it was to practice and I carried that through my interviews transforming it into enthusiasm and it worked really well!

As much as this process is quite strenuous, I am sure you will do great, just remember to take more care of yourself!

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: AlexJ and Aga123+

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Honestly, I have found there is no simple solution to combat the mental toll of the application cycle. However I would say, allow yourself to detach once in a while.

Do not be afraid to take a little bit of a break here and there, but not too long to the point you lose your mojo. For example, and this is probably not the best advice, but I missed out on sending my Covington & Burling/Allen & Overy WVS applications even-though they were on my list. However, looking back I do not regret it. I needed those breaks to recharge and relax, and I have found its helped me a lot with my other applications, and tests/VI's. I would say balance this out, I could afford to lost out on these two because they have spring/summer/direct. Try to see if there are any applications you can pass over to another month, just to give you that extra time to rest.

Equally, try not to think about an application once it has been sent. In the past, I would sit here waiting on any update, and each time I would see somebody get invited I would assume an automatic rejection. It's crippling and can lead to demotivation for the rest of the cycle, thus impacting further applications. The best thing you can do for yourself is ignore the application once it has been sent or once any automated tests have been complete. Honestly, doing this I found my disappointment in a rejection post-app to be very short-lived, and it does not impact me as much as it did in the past.

Lastly, as for the anxiety or nerves, what works for me is to prepare as well as I can, and breathe. TCLA has a wealth of insight over individual applications, whether thats through another member's experience, or past applications and successful answers. There is so much there to allow you to feel a little less alone, and a lot more supported.

You've got this! x

P.S. The DLA VI (if that's what is bugging you atm) is not so bad. It is just a strengths-based interview which requires little to no knowledge of DLA. I actually messed up the last question and only answered the first half (which in my opinion should have been more than enough for a rejection) but I passed the benchmark and have proceeded to review.

For VI's, I would recommend doing a practice test with shortlist.me. They are not the same platform, but they are the only platform out there (which I have seen) that give you an insight as to how textbook VI questions should be approached.
Thanks so much @LegallyBrown for sharing your experience, this will give hope and inspiration to many!

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone!
I'm in a pit of a sticky situation with Bird & Bird. I got accepted to their open day - but never got an email about it (assuming it went to my junk mail), I've only just seen the communication notification on the portal as I am applying to their VS. Due to being in the hospital that week for surgery, I would've been unable to attend regardless - but unfortunately never got the opportunity to let them know, and fear I may be 'blacklisted' for being a no-communication no-show. Is there any point in continuing the application process? Should I reach out to them now?
They're one of my top firms!
I would say to reach out to them and explain the situation. I am pretty sure you are not blacklisted or anything but a simple explanation will go a long way, so I would do that in your shoes. However, congratulations for getting the open day, it is already a good achievement in itself!

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
I know the Hogan Lovell's WG is meant to be automatic but I applied over a week a go and haven't received an invite to complete the test.

Anyone else in this position? Should I email grad rec about it?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre Can I ask if I mentioned the mitigating circumstance in my application form, how should I describe it? any evidence or proof ( like sick notes) I need to provide ?
Hey @Cynthia14,

I think it depends on the time of mitigating circumstances you need to describe but generally speaking I would recommend explaining in one or two sentences the issue you dealt with and how it significantly impacted your academic/professional life (perhaps including tangible examples that can substantially demonstrate how this severely affected you).

I do not know if it is necessary to send a proof but if you have anything that can explain what you dealt with, I would recommend sending it to the firm as a tangible proof but I know many people who do not send anything.

I would also recommend highlighting some steps, if any, that you took to overcome that particular circumstance, if possible. I am not saying it is necessary in the slightest, but it will show perseverance.

For instance, at the start of my application cycle last year, there were a couple of grades in my undergraduate experience that were quite low due to some incidents with some professors. I explained how these professors' behaviours towards me affected how they marked my exams. However, I made sure to highlight that despite these incidents, that were racially based, I tried to seek help from other professors to understand the material better and this could be seen in the my final result.

After a couple of applications I stopped using this as a mitigating circumstance as I got some advice regarding the fact that I did not need to justify a couple of bad grades so I want to clarify this. This might not be your example, but I hope it helps understanding how I personally approached this.

I hope my example helps you in a way and good luck with the application cycle!

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.