Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No was referring to whether mentioning a partner name in an application makes the app stronger than speaking to a trainee.
It really won’t work on this basis. The reference to anyone (whether a trainee or a partner) is much more about what you took from that conversation rather than who you spoke to.

Reactions: AlexJ

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
In this answer, I would stick to a 50-50 split and so you can spend 85 words more on less on 2 reasons why you want to become a lawyer at the firm, and then 2 key skills that you have and you could bring as a lawyer, like attention to detail and teamwork. You then link them to an experience where you showed these skills.

I know it might be hard, but succinctness is a skill that law firm looks for so it is important to practice this. I did apply to Taylor Wessing last year and I got through the application stage and I used the tip I gave you and it worked well for me!

Good luck with the application and I hope I have been of some help!!
Thank you Axel, really appreciated as always!

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I'm on the work experience section of an application, and it has the finish date as a mandatory field and won't let me submit without filling this in with a set date. If I'm still in the role, what's the best way round this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I have just started my volunteering (unpaid) in a law centre. Should I put this as work experience or extra-curricular/ role of responsibility section? And also which section should I put Open Day (in person & virtual) under?
this is a grey area….

Volunteering could be work experience or extra curricular. I tend to advise putting it in to the section you feel needs more details/variety if you are unsure - it really won’t matter which one you choose, I would just stick to one and make sure it is not repeated.

Open days can be in employment, but if they are then I expect the entry description to be fairly brief and to focus more on what you learned from the event rather than what you did, and keep it to 2-3 sentences maximum (you don’t need to describe something that was a few hours in more than this). Alternatively, you can put them into other sections of your application.

Sometimes they fit nicely into a “is there are further information you want to provide” type questions or sections of the application. Sometimes firms will ask specific questions about the of events you have attended and so if there if a dedicated section or question like this, then I wouldn’t put them into the work experience section, I would just detail them in the specific question asking for this information.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know if non-law graduates can apply to Addleshaw Goddard's vacation scheme? In the info section it states: "The placement scheme is open to all second year law students and above or final year non-law students" - does this mean that graduates are excluded?
Yes! I had a friend who was non-law graduate who did it this past summer and also got an offer so I will confidently say yes!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I'd be careful with this. Everyone's role is important in a firm so definitely emphasise talking to a range of people I'd say. I got feedback from a VS that I focused too much on networking with Partners and didn't talk to paralegals.
@mkt I would definitely agree with this. You really need to show that you are interested in everyone at the firm. I do not think it will set you apart significantly so I would not mention it if it is not necessary to show your genuine interest to the firm. I would perhaps keep it for the interview where you can explain yourself a little bit better!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Would you include a vac scheme that you weren't offered a TC from on your CV/work exp. sections of applications?
Yes, it is important that you do as it will allow you to explain why you want to become a commercial lawyer as you were already exposed to the industry with such a valuable experience. And it also makes you an interesting candidate because if a firm wanted you enough to give you an offer, other law firms will pay at your profile a little closer!

Good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I have just started my volunteering (unpaid) in a law centre. Should I put this as work experience or extra-curricular/ role of responsibility section? And also which section should I put Open Day (in person & virtual) under?
I think @Jessica Booker provided an exhaustive answer with which I agree so I would definitely follow her advice! Most of my work experiences were unpaid but I put them in the work section and I only put the university associations, sport and things of this nature in the extra-curricular or role of responsibility. But it depends on you and what do you need more!

Good luck with the application cycle!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.