TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
After getting passed the application screening, I got rejected from NRF post Arctic Shores for their Winter Vac Scheme.

However, they said that I can still apply within the 2023-2024.

Do I need to change my application (especially the cover letter) if I apply later in this cycle for a summer vac scheme or tc? Or, considering I passed the initial screening, is submitting the same cover letter OK?

Unless I get on Stephenson Harwood's winter vac schemeI really don't know how I can include additional experience between now and January February as I am on the conversion course.

lovelaw223

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
Does anyone have any advice regarding my current situation?:
Completed DLA VI on 23rd Oct, it had defo been sent off etc. Didn't hear anything until today when I got an email saying i still hadn't completed my video interview and i have 2 days to do it... I logged into my account and it says i have completed it!
I've emailed grad rec but I'm concerned that they will just reject me before anyone answers my email. Any advice?

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Completed DLA VI on 23rd Oct, it had defo been sent off etc. Didn't hear anything until today when I got an email saying i still hadn't completed my video interview and i have 2 days to do it... I logged into my account and it says i have completed it!
I've emailed grad rec but I'm concerned that they will just reject me before anyone answers my email. Any advice?
Ring GR

Reactions: ayek

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
Very strange. I’m sure they won’t reject you if they see it is a technical error — just make sure you have screenshots of the VI page saying you have completed it so you can show them.

They do say after the VI that they will be in contact within 7 days. You should’ve heard back by 30 Oct, so hopefully grad rec can answer why that didn’t happen.

Also, don’t worry. If you got the email today you still have 2 days before they can make any other move/“reject”. Grad rec should reply by then.

If you’re still worried, you can send another email on high priority and attach screenshot evidence if you hadn’t before.

I hope it all works out!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Bristows Workshop VI rejection
David Tennant Hello GIF by Doctor Who

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    BCLP did the same last year lmao. Very annoying. Thanks for letting us know though as I had already copied and pasted the Qs.
    This is for Fieldfisher’s TC btw not the diversity access scheme! I’m so annoyed, I completed my application this morning just to go and submit it and see completely different questions 😭

emilyding

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    this is a grey area….

Volunteering could be work experience or extra curricular. I tend to advise putting it in to the section you feel needs more details/variety if you are unsure - it really won’t matter which one you choose, I would just stick to one and make sure it is not repeated.

Open days can be in employment, but if they are then I expect the entry description to be fairly brief and to focus more on what you learned from the event rather than what you did, and keep it to 2-3 sentences maximum (you don’t need to describe something that was a few hours in more than this). Alternatively, you can put them into other sections of your application.

Sometimes they fit nicely into a “is there are further information you want to provide” type questions or sections of the application. Sometimes firms will ask specific questions about the of events you have attended and so if there if a dedicated section or question like this, then I wouldn’t put them into the work experience section, I would just detail them in the specific question asking for this information.
    How about the CV? As I have a separate sections for legal work experiences/ volunteering/ extra-curricular (virtual internship etc) / event section (which I will list some virtual event I have attended before).

Should I put my legal volunteer under the volunteer section and law firm open day under event section? Or should I delete some sections because its bit too much in the CV?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.