TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
Only if they are in work related matters. Do not try and fit other answers into other sections - it rarely works well and you can be “marked down” for it.

Thank you, @Jessica Booker! One of these positions of responsibility is paid (albeit not a lot!), so I'll leave that in. Just as a follow-up, if the title of one of the unpaid positions of responsibility is "co-founder" and is non-university affiliated, can I put this down under work experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, @Jessica Booker! One of these positions of responsibility is paid, so I'll leave that in. Just as a follow-up, if the title of one of the unpaid positions of responsibility is "co-founder" and is non-university affiliated, can I put this down under work experience?
Is the unpaid role within a business or a social group/interest group (e.g. a society or club)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That's a really good question!

It is a careers-based interest group that operates on social media channels. We used to organise weekly or fortnightly workshops with practitioners to discuss issues with students/career changers.
I would say this is extra curricular rather than work experience then. It sounds like you have enough work experience to cover as well, and i think adding everything to work experience just because it can be the open ended section of an application risks you minimising your other work experience.

Reactions: futuretrainee202X

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    This might be a stupid question but I received the DLA Piper Watson Glaser invite on the 8th and I plan on completing it on Sunday (the 12th). Given that grad rec said ' Please complete our online assessment within 5 days' I presume this should be okay? Not sure if I'm being paranoid 😅

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
    Sep 14, 2023
    What's taking Bakers so long? I get that their reviewing the changes made to the application process, but has anyone heard any updates regarding a potential time frame?
    I replied to a similar question a couple days ago but the VS is still closed. TC apps open feb 2024. Not sure if they are doing VS this year.

Edit: I didn’t email them but that’s what their website said a couple days back

Hey all, I am coming on here for some advice please. I am currently studying an undergraduate degree in Accounting & Financial Management with Economics at a Russell group University. However, becoming a lawyer and attaining a training contract has forever been a dream of mine. I am predicted to attain a first class grade in my degree.

Could people please advise me on whether it is worth me pursuing this dream? And the firms that are most likely to take on board non-law graduates? I would need to attain a training contract to finance the PGDL and SQE

I also have a wealth of work experience in both the legal and financial sectors that I could draw on in my applications and interviews

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    hey, just wondering how it went for you?
    Hey, it was good thanks.

I wouldn’t say it went amazing - limited sleep, limited prep, and last minute nerves just was not a good mix.

The interviewer thanked me for my humour and engaged discussions - so I don’t know what to make of that.

I think I did enough for a VS - but it really depends on the quality of candidates they’re going to be assessing tbh.

Saddest part was - I didn’t realise we had begun with the negotiation until it ended, and I asked “was that the negotiation”? I just spent the last half of the interview thinking ‘why she getting so mad at my answers’.

And today I’m in the NRF AC , so back to back is a little bit of a pain. Hopefully this one is going well, so far.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Hey, it was good thanks.

I wouldn’t say it went amazing - limited sleep, limited prep, and last minute nerves just was not a good mix.

The interviewer thanked me for my humour and engaged discussions - so I don’t know what to make of that.

I think I did enough for a VS - but it really depends on the quality of candidates they’re going to be assessing tbh.

Saddest part was - I didn’t realise we had begun with the negotiation until it ended, and I asked “was that the negotiation”? I just spent the last half of the interview thinking ‘why she getting so mad at my answers’.

And today I’m in the NRF AC , so back to back is a little bit of a pain. Hopefully this one is going well, so far.
    You got this - focus on your strengths!!

Reactions: LegallyBrown

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    Hey, it was good thanks.

Well done!!! Was the TS one virtual or in person?

Reactions: LegallyBrown

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hey, it was good thanks.

Your journey is so inspiring. I understand how taxing it must be for you but thank you for sharing your interview experience with us. Congratulations on getting this far and I hope you achieve the desired outcomes 🥳

jnice

Distinguished Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hey all, I am coming on here for some advice please. I am currently studying an undergraduate degree in Accounting & Financial Management with Economics at a Russell group University. However, becoming a lawyer and attaining a training contract has forever been a dream of mine. I am predicted to attain a first class grade in my degree.

Could people please advise me on whether it is worth me pursuing this dream? And the firms that are most likely to take on board non-law graduates? I would need to attain a training contract to finance the PGDL and SQE

I also have a wealth of work experience in both the legal and financial sectors that I could draw on in my applications and interviews
    It is absolutely worth pursuing a training contract! It is not a necessity to have done a law degree; law firms recruit all types of graduates, even career changers. I did a undergrad degree in psychology as I was unsure as to whether I wanted to be a lawyer and at the end of my degree, I decided to pursue a career in law and am now a future trainee. You absolutely have a chance so go for it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.