TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

dinoorchestra

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Hello all! I had a bit of a different question that I would like advice on, if anyone can offer it. I am unsure how to proceed.

I completed a vacation scheme in July this year. I did not get the training contract, but was shortlisted for it. That is the last communication from the firm that I have received since then. I followed up with two e-mails (both a month apart from each other) to ask for an update as well as feedback on my performance during the scheme. Neither was replied to. I then approached graduate recruitment at an event in person and they told me, that they would send me through the feedback. This was almost a month ago now. A friend of mine said I should call them, but I haven't been able to locate a phone number that wouldnt be a direct call to one of the graduate recruiters. Hence, I am unsure if I should do this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Reactions: axelbeugre

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Well done!!! Was the TS one virtual or in person?
    It was virtual, and honestly whether or not I did bad it was so enjoyable.

The partner was amazing, as was the case with NRF today. I genuinely got a good sense that they just wanted to learn about me, and not some checklist exercise.

AC is now done, and this weekend I am going to sleep (but for now, I’m 6 minutes late for my shift).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey all, I am coming on here for some advice please. I am currently studying an undergraduate degree in Accounting & Financial Management with Economics at a Russell group University. However, becoming a lawyer and attaining a training contract has forever been a dream of mine. I am predicted to attain a first class grade in my degree.

Could people please advise me on whether it is worth me pursuing this dream? And the firms that are most likely to take on board non-law graduates? I would need to attain a training contract to finance the PGDL and SQE

I also have a wealth of work experience in both the legal and financial sectors that I could draw on in my applications and interviews
    I think that you will have no issues in the application process so go ahead and definitely apply! I was a non-law student myself and succeeded in my first application cycle so it is definitely possible!

In terms of law firms, basically 98% of law firms recruit both law students and non-law students so do not worry about this, make sure to choose firms that are interesting to you and what you care about.

I would start doing my research on the sector and the firms that might interest you right now and go from there. Additionally, this forum will be very useful in terms of understanding the application process for the firms you are applying to and to see at what point in the application your peers are.

Good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey, it was good thanks.

I wouldn’t say it went amazing - limited sleep, limited prep, and last minute nerves just was not a good mix.

The interviewer thanked me for my humour and engaged discussions - so I don’t know what to make of that.

I think I did enough for a VS - but it really depends on the quality of candidates they’re going to be assessing tbh.

Saddest part was - I didn’t realise we had begun with the negotiation until it ended, and I asked “was that the negotiation”? I just spent the last half of the interview thinking ‘why she getting so mad at my answers’.

And today I’m in the NRF AC , so back to back is a little bit of a pain. Hopefully this one is going well, so far.
    That sounds good overall to be honest so congratulations to you and good luck for the result!

Reactions: LegallyBrown

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hello all! I had a bit of a different question that I would like advice on, if anyone can offer it. I am unsure how to proceed.

I completed a vacation scheme in July this year. I did not get the training contract, but was shortlisted for it. That is the last communication from the firm that I have received since then. I followed up with two e-mails (both a month apart from each other) to ask for an update as well as feedback on my performance during the scheme. Neither was replied to. I then approached graduate recruitment at an event in person and they told me, that they would send me through the feedback. This was almost a month ago now. A friend of mine said I should call them, but I haven't been able to locate a phone number that wouldnt be a direct call to one of the graduate recruiters. Hence, I am unsure if I should do this.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    I am sorry for this situation.
    I personally would advise to send a last reminder email but I would not call. This is because you do not want to disturb too much graduate recruitment, you never know how that might be counterintuitive for you later on. After the last email you send, if they do not reply, I would just leave it and focus on applying to other law firms and make the best of what you learned during the internship this past summer.

I am so sorry again for this situation, it is really unfortunate and I hope you know that this is not your fault.

Good luck with everything!

• 🤝
    Reactions: dinoorchestra

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
    Nov 8, 2023
    Ahh! Do you know if they’re sending all their invites via phone? Because my phone is weird, and calls don’t appear! So just in case they contacted me I’m worried I wouldn’t see
    No idea
    I guess 2/3 days to prep is better than than 1 but this is still so surprising to hear - when I spoke to trainees at the Travers London event they all said they were given a week!
    Yh but its the weekend tomorrow.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! Can I ask about for the professional qualification and certificate section of Freshfields, can I just skip this section if I do not have any?

Yes - that’s not a problem at all. It’s probably a default where the system is also used for other roles they recruit for outside of the graduate recruitment team.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Email from W&C GR :

“I hope you are well and many thanks for your email.

We do get in touch with everyone with the outcome of their applications. We review on a rolling basis. Therefore, people will hear back before other.”

Hopefully hear back soon 🤞

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.