TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Zaakir

Valued Member
May 9, 2023
I did the WVS AC and was offered yesterday or this morning for the written test. There were maybe half a dozen people doing the test with me this morning. I suspect they may have finished Assessment Centres for the Winter Vac Scheme now. The scheme starts in less than two weeks so it'd be tricky to turn things around now. I'm happy to help anyone with W&C.
half a dozen? I did mine on my own with Anna lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So from what I heard, you need to behave like a serial killer in the pre recorded ones 😭 stare into the camera, smiling and you have to make yourself seem real enthusiastic! It’s so uncomfortable but apparently it works like a charm. I’d also recommend recording your interviews. So afterwards, you can listen back and give yourself feedback. If you’ve got a vac scheme then you’ll have no issues getting past this stage in the future, just takes a bit of practice. Best of luck!!
This is definitely not how to succeed in video interviews - take it from someone who has reviewed thousands of them!

Think of it more like a conversation over coffee. Say it was one of those opportunities where a trainee/lawyer you wanted to connect with on LinkedIn actually offered to meet you for a coffee - how would you want to come across in that way, except you’ll be doing most of the talking rather than them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Hi both, I hope you are well. At the Simmons AC I was told that we would hear an outcome by 20th Nov. I see that some people on the forum have received WVS invites post AC, and some unfortunately have rejected PFO post AC.
I don’t want to seem pushy but I would need to know soon as I work full time and the scheme is in less than 2 weeks.

How would you handle this?
Give them a call tomorrow afternoon/Thursday morning and explain you are keen to understand the outcome as you are working full time and would need to request time off if you are successful. They will understand this and it won’t seem pushy, especially if it’s more than 24 hours after they said they would come back to youz

hannahfl

Esteemed Member
May 30, 2021
Give them a call tomorrow afternoon/Thursday morning and explain you are keen to understand the outcome as you are working full time and would need to request time off if you are successful. They will understand this and it won’t seem pushy, especially if it’s more than 24 hours after they said they would come back to youz
Thank you so much, I will follow your advice :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do firms actually weigh the WG? Is it the case that if you dont meet the "benchmark" you are just automatically disqualified, or is your score looked at in conjunction with your written application?
Unfortunately this can be either approach really depending on the firm. In some cases it is also both (minimum cut off and then scores above this weighed up against other information in your application).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @axelbeugre I was wondering how you would approach a question that asks what improvement you would make to a firm and why?
Focus your answer on the “why” rather than getting stuck on the detail itself.

Why you have identified the area as one for improvement?
Why you think this is important?
Why you think this area will improve them firm?

You can then get into a bit of detail as to how they might achieve this (or at least be prepared to explain this as a follow up question).

Reactions: axelbeugre

AlCapone

Star Member
Jan 23, 2023
I know its an age old debate. But I've just graduated university with a first in English literature, a two week internship at a boutique firm and little to no other legal experience. My CV is decent in terms of leadership roles and other extra curricular achievements. Should I apply for direct TCs or VSs??? Ideally I would prefer to go for TCs having missed the boat for WVSs because I had to wait 5 months for my uni results. Do I need more legal experience to get a look in for direct TCs? @Jessica Booker would love some help and sorry if you get this question all the time!

Abgaal

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 24, 2019
Has anyone ever requested WG results from CMS?

Just got an email saying I didn’t meet their benchmark which is odd cus I think I’m quite good at the test and have passed it multiple times before…
That literally happened to me yesterday and I was actually fairly shocked about the outcome. I have practiced them serval times - I think they increased they're benchmark this year maybe lol

Reactions: Marissa

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.