Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if a q asks how you developed resilience, is taking about moving to a new country and dealing w those challenges a good example or no?
It is more about the challenge behind moving rather than moving itself. A lot of people will move countries with little issues each year, so you have to really demonstrate why your circumstances were ones where it was more challenging than other people’s.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it okay to reuse parts of my application for a VS last year? Or will firms not like this?
It is difficult to come up with something new when the application questions are the same as last year
It’s ok to use parts of it but it is always important to try and reflect on what you have done since your last application and for that to be reflected in your application.

I would therefore always update as much as you can and also try to refine your application. Even reviewing your past answers to try and work out whether the way the answer is presented/written could be improved is a good approach to take.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
what if it was a language challenge, like it not being ur first language and you struggled with it etc because of X,Y, do you think that in itself is a strong enough example to expand upon?
Honestly - not really enough for it to be just about it not being your first language. That will be the case for most people moving to another country.

But it’s really talking about your experience rather than the facts. For instance, moving to a country with no knowledge of the language is very different to it being your second language. Living somewhere with little/no access to the things that were your day to day norms is very different to moving to a country with a very similar economy/society to your home country.

It therefore could be a good answer depending on your circumstances, but it’s generally one I have seen a lot and most times it doesn’t really feel too challenging it the way it is described.

Reactions: mfuturetrainee

flower

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    For "Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work." (250 words) , I'm considering writing about my reading and creative writing interests and some of my sports hobbies. Not quite sure what and what is off limits to discuss or if I should stick to discussing any volunteering or tutoring classes, etc.

@Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre - I would really appreciate some insight on this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For "Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work." (250 words) , I'm considering writing about my reading and creative writing interests and some of my sports hobbies. Not quite sure what and what is off limits to discuss or if I should stick to discussing any volunteering or tutoring classes, etc.

@Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre - I would really appreciate some insight on this!
    Anything is open as long as it is not part of your degree or you have been contracted to do it as part of a job. I’d probably avoid the volunteering/tutoring as both fall into employment, and therefore should really be in your work experience section. However it’s a grey area and some people will think their volunteering in particular will fit into interests rather than employment.

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on applications to law days and the like, and I was just wondering is it okay to talk about upcoming stuff that I am due to start but haven't actually started yet? For example, I am due to start some volunteering work but I haven't begun working there yet. Is it okay then to talk about the stuff I will be doing when I'm there, as opposed to it being something I have already done? (I hope this makes sense)

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on applications to law days and the like, and I was just wondering is it okay to talk about upcoming stuff that I am due to start but haven't actually started yet? For example, I am due to start some volunteering work but I haven't begun working there yet. Is it okay then to talk about the stuff I will be doing when I'm there, as opposed to it being something I have already done? (I hope this makes sense)
    As a response to the questions? If you do though, I would talk about something you're using as an example in the past tense if you're absolutely sure you will be doing it. E.g. to show some competency. I have X skills because I demonstrated Y while working at [name of place I will work at]. It won't look great imo if it's saying I will learn this in the future. Similar with describing it in work experience sections.

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Hey guys,
    Any recommendations for a free platform to practice the Watson Glaser? I'm specifically looking for one that provides correct answers after the practice session. I just tried the Clifford Chance WG practice, and it only gave me a score with some tips. I need the correct answers to know what I'm doing wrong. I need to improve, so any help would be appreciated! It's a bit frustrating, to be honest. Thanks!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey guys,
    Any recommendations for a free platform to practice the Watson Glaser? I'm specifically looking for one that provides correct answers after the practice session. I just tried the Clifford Chance WG practice, and it only gave me a score with some tips. I need the correct answers to know what I'm doing wrong. I need to improve, so any help would be appreciated! It's a bit frustrating, to be honest. Thanks!
    I found this link on here which might be helpful

It has some free resources for practise questions with answers.

Hope it is helpful.

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: I’m_Batman and bella98

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hey guys,
    Job test prep

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

You can reference you will start it, but I don’t think it is worthwhile going into the detail of what you will be doing.

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.