TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi all, I have a question about W&C! In the case where you haven’t heard back from the firm for the WVS after you submitted your application - is this a PFO. Or would I be confidered for the summer / spring schemes I chose as my second and third options (on the application). Thank you
    Hey,

I applied for the spring scheme last year and did not hear back till after the spring scheme had already been filled. I then progressed to the summer scheme assessment centre and subsequently got a place on the VS.

There is always hope!

Charlottehollyx

Star Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    As a recent Cambridge law grad, I know many people who have studied law at Oxford - and these “networking events” and “open days” do not guarantee you a TC! Some of my friends from Oxford are still struggling to find a TC… We had a lot of networking events at Cambridge too, far more than Oxford to be fair!

Studying at Oxford doesn’t guarantee you a TC lol. I’m from Cambridge and still do not have a TC 🤣

I believe a lot of firms are broadening their horizons - I know a lot of trainees / future trainees from Russell Groups and Non-Russell Groups!

Also, recently completed an AC at S&M happy to assist!
    Thank you so much!

I totally agree it doesn't. Thing is they expect it when they see you're from Oxbridge because they know you have the opportunities to do it. I'll pop you a message :)

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    As a recent Cambridge law grad, I know many people who have studied law at Oxford - and these “networking events” and “open days” do not guarantee you a TC! Some of my friends from Oxford are still struggling to find a TC… We had a lot of networking events at Cambridge too, far more than Oxford to be fair!

Studying at Oxford doesn’t guarantee you a TC lol. I’m from Cambridge and still do not have a TC 🤣

I believe a lot of firms are broadening their horizons - I know a lot of trainees / future trainees from Russell Groups and Non-Russell Groups!

Also, recently completed an AC at S&M happy to assist!
    I’m an Oxford graduate and don’t have a TC four years after graduating. I know plenty of friends who went to Oxbridge and struggled. It doesn’t guarantee a thing.

Also, many firms are using CV-blind recruitment so they’re not even aware of your university at that stage.

Last edited:

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Anyone applying Goodwin? How do I answer “why Goodwin” in 100 words?😭
    I totally understand the struggle to answer to this question. When I was doing my application last year I struggled a lot to understand how to perfectly answer the question.

My strategy was dividing the answer in two: 50 words for one reason why I was interested in the firm and 50 words for another reason. I remember talking about technology and emerging companies focus and diversity and inclusion initiatives. I ended up writing more about the first reason compared to the second. However, in general, some tips that I would give are:
    • Discuss the aspects that genuinely interest you about the firm as this might come up in the interview. Make sure to link these reasons back to your experiences and background as this will be a good way to explain why that particular reason is interesting to you. For instance, when I was discussing why I was interested in their technology focus and their work with emerging companies, I discussed my experience working for a small fintech company the summer prior.
    • Be specific with the reasons why you want to join the firm, pick something that is very unique to Goodwin and that relates to your interests. Goodwin is doing amazing research and work in proptech (link between real estate and technology) and propsci (combination of real estate and life sciences), are these something that interest you? I would mention these if that is the case!
    • Be yourself in the answer. Something that Goodwin is good at is selecting people who are genuine with their interests in the firm and the sector so being yourself in the answer is fundamental as graduate recruitment can see through you in a way. That is what we were told during the vacation scheme too!
    I hope these are helpful!

Good luck with the application! @Zaakir

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    I totally understand the struggle to answer to this question. When I was doing my application last year I struggled a lot to understand how to perfectly answer the question.

My strategy was dividing the answer in two: 50 words for one reason why I was interested in the firm and 50 words for another reason. I remember talking about technology and emerging companies focus and diversity and inclusion initiatives. I ended up writing more about the first reason compared to the second. However, in general, some tips that I would give are:
    • Discuss the aspects that genuinely interest you about the firm as this might come up in the interview. Make sure to link these reasons back to your experiences and background as this will be a good way to explain why that particular reason is interesting to you. For instance, when I was discussing why I was interested in their technology focus and their work with emerging companies, I discussed my experience working for a small fintech company the summer prior.
    • Be specific with the reasons why you want to join the firm, pick something that is very unique to Goodwin and that relates to your interests. Goodwin is doing amazing research and work in proptech (link between real estate and technology) and propsci (combination of real estate and life sciences), are these something that interest you? I would mention these if that is the case!
    • Be yourself in the answer. Something that Goodwin is good at is selecting people who are genuine with their interests in the firm and the sector so being yourself in the answer is fundamental as graduate recruitment can see through you in a way. That is what we were told during the vacation scheme too!
    I hope these are helpful!

Good luck with the application! @Zaakir
    Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
    Jan 15, 2023
    So I’ve had a little search through the previous posts but can’t find anything…
    Gibson Dunn. Insight Day is next week. Anybody been invited (or rejected)? Haven’t heard a bean!

Also, for Akin, I see people have been getting test invites but is that for the spring or summer scheme please? I applied on 7/11 and haven’t heard anything but don’t know if that’s a bad sign (standard lol) or just because I’ve applied for summer.

Hope everyone is holding up ok! Being honest, I’m not. A global shortage of ADHD meds right when I need them meaning I have none is kinda not ideal! 🙈 Thanks universe - nice one 🤣

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Tintin06

jas1502

Aug 2, 2023
    W&C PFO 😭

Also, does anyone have advice on drafting an email to a firm to let them know you can't attend an event? I just received an invitation to the Gibson Dunn open day, but this coincides with the Freshfields Graduate Workshop, which I've already confirmed my attendance for. I'm quite stressed because GD is a firm I am definitely planning on applying to, but I'm not sure how great that'll look if I've declined an invitation to attend an Open Day with the firm. Thanks so much!

Flavius Aurelius

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2022
    I have looked at the website of the firm just now and they seem to have a lot of articles about legal tech and AI. They also seem to provide some legal tech AI services such as machine learning software to analyse contracts and other legal documents quickly and efficiently.

I would talk about examples like these machine learning software will be very useful for you as a lawyer as they will allow you to focus on the key details of deals and agreements between your client and other parties, since you will not have to worry to draft a lot of documents on a day to day basis.

I would also emphasise how technology will be important to spread knowledge and expertise to lawyers at the firm. CMS has in fact stated that ''we are constantly developing new and improved systems for internal knowledge networking'', so I would emphasise this point and how this is important in your opinion.

You can also link these factors to your experience with technology in the workplace. Have you used technology which helped you during an internship for instance? Did you see the benefits of it? These could be very good links as to how you personally will benefit from utilising technology and improve your skills whilst training as a lawyer at the firm.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application! @Flavius Aurelius
    That's very helpful, thank you so much @axelbeugre !!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.