TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Harold Gunderson

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2023
93rd Percentile for Linklater WG! At the start of this cycle I was not meeting benchmarks so very happy with the progress.

For anyone who's struggling, I recommend watching Idin Sabahipour's YouTube video and using practice sites such as JobTestPrep. Also, I found writing myself an explanation that I understood to really help.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys, how would you suggest answering the question 'why commercial law' when you have no previous experience related to anything within the legal field? Should I literally talk about why I want to be a commercial lawyer, or is it necessary to link the answer to experiences as a form of evidence as to why I want to go into commercial law?
I had no previous experience in law either when I was applying last year so my strategy was to be completely honest and explain from where I developed my interest in commercial law.

What I used to was start with a brief sentence highlighting that my goal would be to help businesses with my legal knowledge and sort of quench the gap between law and business. Subsequently, I used to talk about (very briefly, usually one to two sentences) about how I used to help my mom when I was young translating business contracts from French to Italian for her and seeing the impact that I had pushed me to pursue a career in law. I underlined how the commercial and legal world was the only sector I could develop my advisory and communication skills to become a successful business lawyer.

Additionally, I linked it back to one/two experiences I had with start-up companies where I was exposed to the implications of the law on small businesses. I also included an experience in a law firm when I was in high school too, even if it was very brief.

As a non-law student and an international student with an undergraduate degree outside of the UK I was really scared of using this structure, but it ended up being extremely successful and interesting to graduate recruitment. Every single AC I have attended, graduate recruitment and partners has remarked how interested they were in reading how my interest in the law developed.

I hope this can help you and good luck with your application! @lawyerinzootopia

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I was wondering how long should the covering letter of w&c be?
Mine was 670 words more or less and I got through the video interview stage! I do not think it should be longer than 700 words in my opinion since the application for the firm is full of questions anyway, where you can put all your experiences and academic qualifications.

I hope this helps!

• 🏆
Reactions: jenniferrrrrrr

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Small rant and sorry to be so up front but I don't get how firms can value grades the same. It's objectively more difficult to get a first in law than it is in history. Looking back I wish I'd studied history as the few modules I completed in the course I got high 70s. I graduated with a 2:1 from a top 5 English law school (67% overall) and respectfully it was just much harder getting that than at a lower level University. I don't think it's fair that firms should 'diversify' the universities they hire from. It requires a lot harder work to get a high 2:1 at an Oxbridge/LSE/UCL than it would getting a 1st (70) from Leeds/Birmingham. Some of us just studied hard to get in and put more effort during uni to get a 'lower' overall score than our non-law counterparts who apparently represent half the workforce. Not aiming this on a personal level at everyone just sharing my pov.
Bro thinks going to Oxbridge is a disadvantage Una

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Small rant and sorry to be so up front but I don't get how firms can value grades the same. It's objectively more difficult to get a first in law than it is in history. Looking back I wish I'd studied history as the few modules I completed in the course I got high 70s. I graduated with a 2:1 from a top 5 English law school (67% overall) and respectfully it was just much harder getting that than at a lower level University. I don't think it's fair that firms should 'diversify' the universities they hire from. It requires a lot harder work to get a high 2:1 at an Oxbridge/LSE/UCL than it would getting a 1st (70) from Leeds/Birmingham. Some of us just studied hard to get in and put more effort during uni to get a 'lower' overall score than our non-law counterparts who apparently represent half the workforce. Not aiming this on a personal level at everyone just sharing my pov.
I mean, the people who go to lower level universities still work hard to get the grades though, whether it's easier or not. And getting offers isn't just based on the grades (for a lot of firms) so 🤷‍♀️ clearly they work hard doing other things to make themselves and their applications as strong as possible. Also, if you go to a prestigious uni, you're already a fair way in as opposed to a non-RG surely?

Last edited:

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
I had no previous experience in law either when I was applying last year so my strategy was to be completely honest and explain from where I developed my interest in commercial law.

What I used to was start with a brief sentence highlighting that my goal would be to help businesses with my legal knowledge and sort of quench the gap between law and business. Subsequently, I used to talk about (very briefly, usually one to two sentences) about how I used to help my mom when I was young translating business contracts from French to Italian for her and seeing the impact that I had pushed me to pursue a career in law. I underlined how the commercial and legal world was the only sector I could develop my advisory and communication skills to become a successful business lawyer.

Additionally, I linked it back to one/two experiences I had with start-up companies where I was exposed to the implications of the law on small businesses. I also included an experience in a law firm when I was in high school too, even if it was very brief.

As a non-law student and an international student with an undergraduate degree outside of the UK I was really scared of using this structure, but it ended up being extremely successful and interesting to graduate recruitment. Every single AC I have attended, graduate recruitment and partners has remarked how interested they were in reading how my interest in the law developed.

I hope this can help you and good luck with your application! @lawyerinzootopia
Thank you so much for this Axel!!

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hello everyone i was wondering if any of you had any experience with the arctic shores assessment? Would you recommend buying a test pack? With the few trainees i have spoken to, they seemed to say it was all about consistent answers with this type of assessment

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
I know at least one US firm that recruits almost entirely from the universities you mention so I do think going to Oxbridge is a big advantage.

On your other point that it's not fair that law firms diversify the universities they hire from - you could argue university is the first time there is a level playing field. If someone has gone to a sh*t state school/they are the first gen to go to uni they will not get into the universities you refer to. Therefore, firms may have to 'diversify' the unis they recruit from in order to achieve any diversity targets they may have.

Also, once you tick off the academic capability box (which can be done by getting a first from a university like Leeds!) firms look at other factors, such as being well rounded and generally a person that others want to spend all day with 5 days a week.

VacayScheme

Distinguished Member
Nov 14, 2023
93rd Percentile for Linklater WG! At the start of this cycle I was not meeting benchmarks so very happy with the progress.

For anyone who's struggling, I recommend watching Idin Sabahipour's YouTube video and using practice sites such as JobTestPrep. Also, I found writing myself an explanation that I understood to really help.
Hey, congrats! How'd you get your results? Did you just email grad rec?

tillywizz98

Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 23, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , I would welcome your advice. I am preparing an application for a US firm that's strong in M&A, and I'm also doing a Vac Scheme with a different firm next week. I should get some M&A exposure in the vac scheme, and I was wondering whether you think it's appropriate to reference that in my application for the US firm as an example of where my interest has built from (combined with other factors) or whether it will seem odd to reference that given the Vac Scheme will only be mid way through by the closing date of the US firm?

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
I saw 3 posts on London VS offer. (all of them are 2nd year law students)

Im not sure if i met WGT benchmark lol
They may have been from the fast track AC after attending the insight scheme.

The Manny girl I saw was third year.

very disappointing to see they have already give out VS spots from somebody who has been waiting two weeks for VI reasonable adjustments.

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    I know at least one US firm that recruits almost entirely from the universities you mention so I do think going to Oxbridge is a big advantage.

On your other point that it's not fair that law firms diversify the universities they hire from - you could argue university is the first time there is a level playing field. If someone has gone to a sh*t state school/they are the first gen to go to uni they will not get into the universities you refer to. Therefore, firms may have to 'diversify' the unis they recruit from in order to achieve any diversity targets they may have.

Also, once you tick off the academic capability box (which can be done by getting a first from a university like Leeds!) firms look at other factors, such as being well rounded and generally a person that others want to spend all day with 5 days a week.
    I completely agree with your point here.

Most firms are now “diversifying” where they hire their future trainees from, as mentioned because of diversity targets 🎯 and also because candidates are equally as good from other universities i.e. from Russell or Non Russell Group universities. Someone from Aspiring Solicitors told me - a application is seen holistically, it doesn’t really matter about grades (well of course you need a high 2:1 or first to put you at a good steed, but it doesn’t matter what uni they are from). Some candidates can showcase their volunteering / extra curricular activities which can help them secure interviews.

Let me give an example, I know someone (a year above) from my university (UCL to be clear) she had terrible grades in the first year, achieved 2:2s and low 2:1s, and even in second and third hit low to mid 2:1s. She received no firsts. She graduated with a low to mid 2:1. But her extra curricular activities were amazing, and she did a lot of volunteering work which counter balanced for her poor performance. Guess what she is now a future trainee at Linklaters.

Also, I know many people who went to non-Russell group universities who are sitting on their comfy chairs in their shiny offices… as trainees at Clifford Chance, HSF and Ashurst. So anyone can do this! I think you just need the RIGHT MENTALITY (unfortunately I don’t have that).

And I would focus on myself, who cares what other people are doing… everyone is on their own journey. If you put the work in, you will get somewhere I’m sure!

Plus, the application process has broadened massively, most firms are not even requiring A-level grades anymore.

But saying all this, law is such a COMPETITIVE FIELD to get into, I applaud 👏 all those who receive TC offers! YOU ARE ALL AMAZING!!! Would love to hear from people who have secured TCs recently …..

I have failed to convert 2 vacation schemes in a row… I have come to the conclusion I lack confidence in myself, so I need to build on that!

But anyways, this is my take!
    Taylor Swift Vmas 2019 GIF by 2018 MTV Video Music Awards

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hello! 👋

I need some advice. I recently secured a Compliance role at a SC law firm. However, I am now thinking if this role will make it difficult for me to get a training contract?

Is there a possibility I could find a way to get a training contract offer through being an internal candidate as this firm is known for giving their paralegals TC offers!

Also how will I justify in my application my move from compliance to legal practice?

Bit confused at the moment…

@Jessica Booker & @axelbeugre would love your thoughts! :)
    Hey @lawwarrior,

Congratulations on securing the compliance role, this is an amazing opportunity!

I understand your concern but what I would do in your situation is accepting the offer (especially if you need the money) and still apply to vacation schemes and training contract from other firms and keep working until you get the training contract that you want. I think that this could be the best thing for you in terms of having a good full-time position that pays (which can also be helpful to vacation schemes/training contract applications), and you will be able to network with associates and partners and ask about their journeys into the profession.

Once you secure a vacation scheme/training contract offer at another firm, you can quit your position. However, I would not reject the offer right now if you need to work for the time being and you have no other choice. I understand the frustration of not being able to obtain an offer from the firm you are going to work for, but the reality is that even if you are a paralegal, you need to work at the firm for a while before even being considered for a training contract.

I hope this helps and good luck!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: legalgrinch

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Hey @lawwarrior,

Congratulations on securing the compliance role, this is an amazing opportunity!

I understand your concern but what I would do in your situation is accepting the offer (especially if you need the money) and still apply to vacation schemes and training contract from other firms and keep working until you get the training contract that you want. I think that this could be the best thing for you in terms of having a good full-time position that pays (which can also be helpful to vacation schemes/training contract applications), and you will be able to network with associates and partners and ask about their journeys into the profession.

Once you secure a vacation scheme/training contract offer at another firm, you can quit your position. However, I would not reject the offer right now if you need to work for the time being and you have no other choice. I understand the frustration of not being able to obtain an offer from the firm you are going to work for, but the reality is that even if you are a paralegal, you need to work at the firm for a while before even being considered for a training contract.

I hope this helps and good luck!!
    Thank you so much @axelbeugre on your take on this. This position is actually for the summer of 2024, I am currently in my last year of university. I am trying to secure a role after university (as a back up I guess).

You are right there, I think it will be a good option to explore if I don’t have a TC between now and the summer of 2024. Very thankful that they are allowing me to start then.

I think I’ll get back to them, and accept it for now. I can easily reject them once I do have a training contract offer!

Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.