TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Wazflame

Sep 11, 2022
This probably has a really obvious answer but I thought I'd ask in case I'm misreading things: when is the deadline for Latham & Watkins' spring/summer 2024 vacation schemes? The application website lists it as the 10th December but all the legal help websites (lawcareers, legal500, chambersstudent, etc.) list it as today (3rd December 2023).

I obviously know which one should take priority but I'm wondering why they're all saying a week earlier? Thanks!

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    This probably has a really obvious answer but I thought I'd ask in case I'm misreading things: when is the deadline for Latham & Watkins' spring/summer 2024 vacation schemes? The application website lists it as the 10th December but all the legal help websites (lawcareers, legal500, chambersstudent, etc.) list it as today (3rd December 2023).

I obviously know which one should take priority but I'm wondering why they're all saying a week earlier? Thanks!
    Heya! They extended their deadline hence why all the other sources say the 3rd

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Chambers student says that Arnold & Porter receives around 300 VC applications. That number seems very low, does anyone know if this is the case?
    Chambers would have got those stats from the firm - so I would take it as accurate.

Many people won’t want to work at the firm and if they are not as active on campus/advertising online as other firms, they will get fewer applications.

Reactions: Giorgos

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    If a firm asks if I have previously applied to them for any position and if yes, to give details, does that mean I need to discuss my AC feedback and how I have improved since then? One of my feedback points was that I sometimes should have added more detail to my answers during interview. I would find it hard to say how I have improved on that given it is very specific to the AC context. Sorry if this is a silly question!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    anyone gotten a PFO/rejection from Gibson Dunn for their vacation scheme this application cycle? Trying to gage how long it will take for them to response to my app.
    There are people getting vacation scheme offers already!! If you look through the forum, I am sure you will see some answers on this!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Do you think it'd be too late if I apply now?
    I do not think it is too late to apply! Last year, majority of the people I knew who had offers applied in late December/January. Gibson Dunn is one of those firms that will wait for the candidates they actually like, so I will try my best to apply by end of December.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    If a firm asks if I have previously applied to them for any position and if yes, to give details, does that mean I need to discuss my AC feedback and how I have improved since then? One of my feedback points was that I sometimes should have added more detail to my answers during interview. I would find it hard to say how I have improved on that given it is very specific to the AC context. Sorry if this is a silly question!!
    I personally do not think you need to discuss this in that section of the application, or in any for that matters. I believe that you should demonstrate this improvement whilst you are in the assessment centre. The application should be able to showcase the things that make you stand out, and what you have been up to since you have done the assessment centre. It is basically an opportunity for you to make the firm want you again and make you an assessment centre invite again. This is my personal take though!

Good luck with the application!

• Love
    Reactions: sibs23

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Just submitted my Gibson Dunn app—I wasn't sure if there was any use, seeing as interviews have already been carried out, but there's no harm I suppose.
    Congratulations for submitting it! There is definitely no harm! I submitted last year on the 20th of December and received an interview invite the same day I applied! So it is totally possible for anyone to still receive invites.

Good luck with the application!

• Wow
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and MR218

Legally_Brunette1999

Oct 12, 2023
    Anyone heard back from PwC or Irwin Mitchell? Applied for PwC back in October and submitted my test on Halloween but not heard anything back yet (I remember someone else in this thread saying that they'd been rejected a few weeks ago, just want to know if I can start getting my hopes up about actually managing to land an AC for the first time ever), and I just submitted my IM online assessment the other day, was wondering if there's a projected timeframe I should anticipate.

Also, I haven't had a chance to go to any Osborne Clarke open days or anything. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for the application? I know that they really emphasise the free response questions but does anyone have any tips?

Reactions: Aaj03

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Anyone heard back from PwC or Irwin Mitchell? Applied for PwC back in October and submitted my test on Halloween but not heard anything back yet (I remember someone else in this thread saying that they'd been rejected a few weeks ago, just want to know if I can start getting my hopes up about actually managing to land an AC for the first time ever), and I just submitted my IM online assessment the other day, was wondering if there's a projected timeframe I should anticipate.

Also, I haven't had a chance to go to any Osborne Clarke open days or anything. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for the application? I know that they really emphasise the free response questions but does anyone have any tips?
    PwC took a few days to send me the VI invite. I completed the test a few weeks back.

I submitted IM same time as you so are still waiting - but there have been several users posting of IM VI invites and also post-test rejections in here - so they are reviewing on RB. No idea how long they take to get back though.

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023

For PwC, I got a VI invite 3 days after completing the online test in November but never heard anything back since then :)

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.