TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
It’s essentially a WG, just slightly different (from memory they have “a fairly strong/weak argument and “a very strong/weak argument” with the evaluating arguments section). I think there’s a practice test they provide before you start and it’s identical to that.

It was honestly quite difficult and harder than a typical WG. Best of luck!
just did the test... that was difficult!! hmmm i don't think i did too well :( oh well!

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Bit of a random question, but I need some outside perspectives.

I am writing my answers for Hogan Lovells' SVS, and detailing some of my academic awards. I have currently written: 'I possess an excellent academic track record, achieving XX prize and the highest results in XX'. Does that come across as bragging a bit too much? Should I prefix the sentence with something like: 'I was honoured to' or 'My hard work helped me' to mitigate that risk, albeit risking waffling and taking away words from my other experiences?

Cheers in advance :)

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Bit of a random question, but I need some outside perspectives.

I am writing my answers for Hogan Lovells' SVS, and detailing some of my academic awards. I have currently written: 'I possess an excellent academic track record, achieving XX prize and the highest results in XX'. Does that come across as bragging a bit too much? Should I prefix the sentence with something like: 'I was honoured to' or 'My hard work helped me' to mitigate that risk, albeit risking waffling and taking away words from my other experiences?

Cheers in advance :)
    I attended an application workshop with Hogan Lovells and they said you should never be afraid of bragging (as long as it doesn't come off very obnoxious I imagine), the whole point of the application is to convey how great you are - so I think that would be fine.

• Love
    Reactions: IwantaVacSchemePlz

LHitchens1

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 28, 2022
    hi all, anyone who has recently received a response from HL grad rec regarding a query, how long did it take to hear back from them ( I know grad rec are busy I just wanted to know when to roughly expect a response)?
    I'm in the same boat, bud! Is it evil if I say it depends? Most of the time it's 3-5 working days. If it is as busy as it is now? A week/week and a half. I think their Winter Vac Scheme is now/has just happened so getting the TC contracts sorted, signed and done. Combine that with app reviews, organising ACs for vac schemes, etc, it's like rush hour at the Oxford Street McDonald's this week - no chance of a break. They're good with replying but with the above, a little leniency is best!
    I'm waiting on Lift Off and I am stressed beyond belief!

Reactions: AB

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.