Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
was hoping on some professional input into how to display working at my fathers law firm as a legal assistant on my cv/ application work experience sections. He is the sole practitioner and my responsibilities are limited to mostly admin and a little research, but is this still worth including? And in terms of presenting it, should I include that its my fathers firm or is the elaboration only necessary at interview/ further stages? = any insight would be much appreciated!
You don’t have to disclose how you got the work experience unless explicitly asked. However, for something where the relationship is a direct relative (parent/sibling) I think a very brief reference to it being part of your family’s business can be useful for context, and doesn’t mean there’s a bit of a shock at interview stage too.

I would definitely include it in an application thought.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
roughly how many firms are people applying to? worried about not doing enough and not securing a TC (my first swift rejection has sent me on a wobble..), but also afraid of rushing apps for the sake of them!
This year I’m doing about 7 but I think it really depends on you as a person and how you work + circumstances :)) last year I did loads and got PFOs v early on for each firm, whereas this year I’ve gotten further for everything having spent more time on each one. I work full time so hard to balance but I found that’s the way that works best for me on top of that !

• 🏆
Reactions: Ash2323 and Sharon Wu

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
When firms have WG/test benchmarks, if you pass the benchmark, do they then care about your specific score in the context of the rest of the application?

For instance, if you just scraped the benchmark and were up against someone who performed strongly, would that count against you if your written applications were a similar level? Or is it simply a means of everyone who passes is viewed identically?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.