TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
has anyone got an idea what are good types of questions to ask grad rec at a talk by a firm where you have applied and not heard yet? I want to engage grad recruitment in conversation later today as I want them to know I am really interested in the firm and its sectors and didn't just attend events to get material for my application, but I am not sure what sort of things to ask.

Their deadline hasn't passed but I submitted in November. I don't mean asking questions to chase them about my app - I don't want to do this at all - but it would be odd if I asked the standard qs one asks before applying when I submitted already and then mention I have submitted. any advice is appreciated!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    It seems I've hit rock bottom on Gibson's interview candidate list. I submitted my application a good few months ago and recently reached out via email for an update. Surprisingly, the response indicated that the absence of a rejection implies I'm still in the running.

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    Do people change their work experience explanations depending on the firm? I've just been copy pasting the descriptions for each of them but just saw a post about someone adapting it for a firm... Is this common practice?

pb15

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2021
    This might not be all that helpful (I was deferred from Winter so my situation is a little different seeing as my interview was in October), but grad rec said that they would let me know of the outcome in February :)
    yeah they said the same to me when i sent them an email asking when we should expect to hear back, but the wait is killing me. ( i can imagine its worse for you, waiting since october ahahha)

Reactions: Sharon Wu

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Do people change their work experience explanations depending on the firm? I've just been copy pasting the descriptions for each of them but just saw a post about someone adapting it for a firm... Is this common practice?
    I normally do this dependent on a firms speciality. I’ve done some virtual internships and will tailor the tasks and skills in specific sectors to the firm I’m applying. Eg, with firms that focus on IP I’ve specifically highlighted tasks to do with research, patents, reviewing claims rather than tasks that considered more finance and real estate.

Reactions: AlegalA and Sharon Wu

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    PFO from Bird & Bird post-app:

We regret to inform you that, on this occasion, we are unable to progress your application to the next stage of the recruitment process as the next stages are now at capacity.

Makes sense as I saw people getting AC invites at the end of November and applied on the deadline. Think if you want to apply to them in the future, it’s definitely a firm to be proactive with in regards to the rolling deadline!

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    PFO from Bird & Bird post-app:

We regret to inform you that, on this occasion, we are unable to progress your application to the next stage of the recruitment process as the next stages are now at capacity.

Makes sense as I saw people getting AC invites at the end of November and applied on the deadline. Think if you want to apply to them in the future, it’s definitely a firm to be proactive with in regards to the rolling deadline!
    Yep me too!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.