Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
brooooooooooooooooooos
I have a question abt non-law TC applicants:
It seems like different firms want to use different law schools if they're gonna sponsor u through PGDL/SQE. How do I deal with this when applying to vac schemes/ TCs when I haven't applied to a law school for PGDL yet? Will I be disadvantaged if I say I'm gonna do the PGDL at a law school a particular firm doesn't prefer??
It absolutely does not matter so I would not worry about this. If you get the training contract before starting law school they will fund it for you and send you to the law school they want (this was my case). If you apply during the PGDL then what school you are attending will not matter and you will not be disadvantaged in the slightest so do not worry!

Reactions: affidavid

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Did you apply to VS or TC? I am in the same boat, but I applied in Nov. I ticked both the VS and TC boxes so wonder if that is the case. @axelbeugre any thoughts?
I think that I personally would consider a rejection since they have been offering vacation schemes since November but never say never, they might be waiting and compare applications and candidates.

I personally would say to wait, no news is good news at this point so just be a little patient. I am sure they will come around soon. If you really want to know the outcome, you can always email them and ask them for some updates.

Reactions: Dwight

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
I think that I personally would consider a rejection since they have been offering vacation schemes since November but never say never, they might be waiting and compare applications and candidates.

I personally would say to wait, no news is good news at this point so just be a little patient. I am sure they will come around soon. If you really want to know the outcome, you can always email them and ask them for some updates.
I think OP still has a shot - I applied to GD two years ago on deadline day just before it closed and made it to the final stage. Lots of people were offered VSs that same round in November time too but it didn’t put me off applying in Jan, I think GD are still considering applicants for sure but of course, it could vary year by year.

Reactions: axelbeugre

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi guys, just to those who have been rejected by Freshfields, I emailed them yesterday asking for my WG test score and they responded with percentile this morning! :) I did way better than I thought but was still rejected :/
Out of curiosity, what percentile did you score (if you don’t mind saying!). I know FF benchmark is notoriously high..

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
Just re read my freshfields personal statement that I have submitted and realised I mention they have six seats but upon reflection it seems they actually have eight. I took this information from multiple sources including chambers student but maybe that was an old post. Annoyed with myself as I really liked the rest of what I wrote. Do you guys think automatic PFO??

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Just re read my freshfields personal statement that I have submitted and realised I mention they have six seats but upon reflection it seems they actually have eight. I took this information from multiple sources including chambers student but maybe that was an old post. Annoyed with myself as I really liked the rest of what I wrote. Do you guys think automatic PFO??
It is technically 8 seats but given nearly all trainees do a 6 month secondment it's functionally 6 seats

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi - how would you approach the 'What motivates you?' question?
I usually try to answer this as honestly as possible, even if it feels a bit cringe because I think they are trying to learn about you as a person. There's definitely no right answer. I usually try to reflect on an experience to back up my answer and make sure my answer is relevant/transferable to my career.

• 🏆
Reactions: Louise59

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.