TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
This might be a very silly question, but I am preparing an answer for 'TELL ME ABOUT A TIME YOU HAD TO PERSUADE SOMEONE ROUND TO YOUR WAY OF THINKING?'
and I can only think of when I have persuaded my parents to let me do things lol. They are very very strict and so stubborn and I have been able to persuade them on things that they have always said no to. Is it wrong to speak about parents or should I think a lot harder about another example? Again, so sorry if this is a stupid question!!!

Last edited:

SLLLAMA

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2023
Just completed the Reed Smith VI and got the automatic feedback for the Legal High Potential Assessment. Absolutely bombed 2/4 of the characteristics they assess. Here’s to hoping another firm give me an VI opportunity haha.
Hi, do you have any tips for the test and VI that you could share, please?

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
This might be a very silly question, but I am preparing an answer for 'TELL ME ABOUT A TIME YOU HAD TO PERSUADE SOMEONE ROUND TO YOUR WAY OF THINKING?'
and I can only think of when I have persuaded my parents to let me do things lol. They are very very strict and so stubborn and I have been able to persuade them on things that they have always said no to. Is it wrong to speak about parents or should I think a lot harder about another example? Again, so sorry if this is a stupid question!!!
honestly just make something up is what i do, something half true that is exaggerated or has elements of a lie

what firm is this if you don’t mind me asking?

p.s. it’s not a stupid question, we all struggle with these sorts of questions because some firms are expecting us to have a decade’s worth of work experience when we are second years - so don’t worry. just try to make it something related to a society if you can because you want to show maturity/professionalism alongside the other qualities they’re looking for

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
honestly just make something up is what i do, something half true that is exaggerated or has elements of a lie

what firm is this if you don’t mind me asking?

p.s. it’s not a stupid question, we all struggle with these sorts of questions because some firms are expecting us to have a decade’s worth of work experience when we are second years - so don’t worry. just try to make it something related to a society if you can because you want to show maturity/professionalism alongside the other qualities they’re looking for
Thank you so much!! This is not for a law firm, I just realised how I had not practised competency questions so I am making a document with questions and examples.

Reactions: axelbeugre

affidavid

Star Member
Jan 9, 2024
brooooooooooooooooooos
I have a question abt non-law TC applicants:
It seems like different firms want to use different law schools if they're gonna sponsor u through PGDL/SQE. How do I deal with this when applying to vac schemes/ TCs when I haven't applied to a law school for PGDL yet? Will I be disadvantaged if I say I'm gonna do the PGDL at a law school a particular firm doesn't prefer??

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.