TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Any advice on how to prepare for roleplay exercises where you solve a business challenge and defend your stance against an associate? I know you can do mock interviews but any other ways?
I think that those are quite difficult to prepare but a couple of things that you might want to work on are:
  • Make sure your commercial awareness and financial understanding is on point. With this, I mean make sure you have a basic understanding of the few business and financial concepts surround deals, M&A, takeovers. Investopedia was my best friend when I was applying last year so I would recommend searching for all the words or concepts you do not understand on that website.
  • Ask a friend or a family member to practice with you. I used to ask my friends to send me articles I did not read or was familiar with and we used to talk and debate about the topic, analysing strengths and weaknesses and have them contradicting you often, that will really prepare you for the real exercise.
  • Have nice sentences of disagreement that allow you to express disapproval for a point expressed by the associate but always being professional and understanding, for instance: 'I see your point however I personally believe that the negative consequences outweigh the positive for XYZ reasons'..
  • Try and also practice with someone you are not too comfortable with. This will allow you to understand how to calm your nerves and think under pressure. I never did this but I do think that it would have been so beneficial to prepare for the real assessment.
I hope these tips are helpful and good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre What sort of activities does an AC written exercise involve?
I shared some tips on written exercises and how to prepare here which might be helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-156677

However, to answer your question, you can usually find summarising information found in a bunch of documents in just one email to a partner, answering some questions regarding a case study (that is the one I had last year for one of the firms I applied to), evaluating which employee should leave a specific company and justify your answer with information you are given. Those are some of the examples of written exercises I have seen.

Reactions: applyingfortc

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
if you're a non-law final year planning to do PGDL, when should you apply for a TC? I'm just applying for vac schemes rn, but some places automatically put you forward for TC like Kirkland. Can't you just apply for them next round (autumn/winter 2024) while doing the PGDL?
You can apply to a training contract whenever you want. If you apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract now, the firm will be able to sponsor you through law school, however, if you apply during the PGDL, then you have to self-fund the course. If you apply to Kirkland now for instance, and you receive a training contract in March 2024, you will probably receive a training contract for 2026, which means that the firm will sponsor you through the PGDL and SQE 1 & 2 (two years) and you will be able to start in 2026. Alternatively, if you complete the PGDL and are applying to law firms, chances are that some law firms will put you in the cohort before the training contract you applied to. So, if you applied to the 2026/2027 training contract and got the offer (and are in the process of completing the PGDL for instance, you will be able to either move to the 2025 cohort (and only be sponsored through the SQE 1&2) or stay with the 2026/2027 and you will have a year to do what you want before you start training.

Reactions: affidavid

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thank you Axel! For the key points, would you recommend doing it in points or in paragraphs?
Paragraph always as you are writing a cohesive and exhaustive answer. Points will not be effective as it will appear as if you did not necessarily develop the answer and so failed in exhaustively answer the question.

• 🏆
Reactions: spongebob_1 and dms21

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Anyone got any tips for virtual interviews? Got a few coming up for international firms in Scotland and England offices but have felt weak at these, talking to a blank screen isn’t it

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.