TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
@Jessica Booker I got through to the next stage (VI/SJT, not automatic) of a firm. However I realised when I looked back at my initial application, that in the work experience section I wrote about completing a virtual vac scheme and how it has made me consider doing a seat in a particular practice, but I mentioned "this has made me keen to do a competition seat at [ANOTHER FIRM I APPLIED TO]" because I copied my answer over from a previous application. I clearly got to the next stage so perhaps they didn't spot that mistake but worried they might flag it further down the line if it comes to deciding if I progress after the VI. In your experience do firms review your initial application again at each stage? Do you think I should just forget about it/stop worrying? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I got through to the next stage (VI/SJT, not automatic) of a firm. However I realised when I looked back at my initial application, that in the work experience section I wrote about completing a virtual vac scheme and how it has made me consider doing a seat in a particular practice, but I mentioned "this has made me keen to do a competition seat at [ANOTHER FIRM I APPLIED TO]" because I copied my answer over from a previous application. I clearly got to the next stage so perhaps they didn't spot that mistake but worried they might flag it further down the line if it comes to deciding if I progress after the VI. In your experience do firms review your initial application again at each stage? Do you think I should just forget about it/stop worrying? Thanks!
It may get picked up if you get to face to face stage or an assessment centre - and if that happens they will ask you in person, so just prepare for it. There’s not much else you can do about it than prepare for that possibility.

Reactions: axelbeugre

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    I wouldn't worry too much and worst case scenario is you can explain why the competition seat at this firm is 'better' than the one at the other firm, how they they differ, and why it has only cemented your interest in this firm etc. I'd just reframe the mistake as it happens and I'm sure they know that

Reactions: Flutterbyx303

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.