TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

aspiringsolicitor1234

Oct 23, 2023
for Dechert, one of the qs is "Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgement to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us? 300 words."

By "why our clients instruct us", do they just mean why the clients choose them?

D

Deleted member 11671

Same question. Does anyone know any international students who have gotten TCs + sponsorships. Is requiring sponsorship a turn off for law firms.
International student here. I was only asked if I needed sponsorship after I was offered the TC. It was not brought into the conversation prior to that. I think at larger firms, it's less of an issue.

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Same question. Does anyone know any international students who have gotten TCs + sponsorships. Is requiring sponsorship a turn off for law firms.
I know many international students who’ve secured TCs, some who studied here and some who completed their undergrad abroad. I even know a few people who applied from abroad and got an offer. Don’t really think sponsorship is too big of an issue for firms in London or even in cities like Bristol (Burges and OC) offer sponsorships for TCs too. Overall, I’ve found this process very flexible and accommodating. There’s always the option of direct TCs for those who can’t complete VS (heard some firms even allow virtual AC). It’s tough but not impossible.

• 🤝
Reactions: atlas2425

thenublawyer

Star Member
Nov 18, 2023
out of curiosity have any international students gotten to the next stage here? i.e. past the initial written online application stage.
This is my first application cycle and I definitely relate to this question. I think the biggest hurdle for international students is really the online application stage. Once you get progressed, especially to the final AC stage, I think it is much easier to get an offer because you have a better platform to showcase your skills (at least that's what my friends and I feel).

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
hey! i've applied to 10 firms (atm) and passed the app stage for all except 1 - i did get 3 rejections so far tho and still waiting for the rest, but i do understand how demoralising it can be especially as an international student. it literally feels like your future is entirely dependent on getting an acceptance along with time/visa constraints
omg do you have tips? that’s such a high ratio, mine is like i apply for 10 pass 1 😭

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
Just got AG Manchester VI invite - does anyone know the format like the prep time given!
If it's the same as the AG Glasgow one I did then it's a nice VI format compared to the others: 5 questions, first asked in a video by someone at the firm before being shown written down. You have 30 seconds before it automatically starts recording and you have 2 minutes to answer. You then decide when to click next for the next question.

Reactions: Toomanypfo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.