TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
For people who are still waiting for Akin post test, this is their response:

‘Due to the unprecedented high volume of applications received this year, we are still reviewing assessment scores and will be in touch in the coming weeks to provide an update on your application.

Thank you for your patience during this busy time.’

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Pfo from davis and polk, read through my application and called them dla piper for all of it lol it is what it is.
    These ones hurt the most, have been there before. Applied to Trowers & Hamlins last cycle and ended my 'why Trowers?' question with 'and that's why I believe Latham & Watkins will be the best firm for my professional development'.

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    I was so nervous at an AC that I didn't ask the grad rec a question at the end rip. How f'd am I?
    Doesn't mean its over, but you really shouldn't be doing that in future. You are trying to demonstrate a real genuine interest in the firm, and you have the opportunity to ask direct questions and say no.

Prepare a few predetermined questions next time.

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Pfo from davis and polk, read through my application and called them dla piper for all of it lol it is what it is.
    Omg stoppp. It's even funnier that you've called them "Davis and Polk" here and not Davis Polk. Ur hilarious. Oh well, they only take 6 trainees. Goodluck with the rest of your apps.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Thanks this is so helpful! Can I ask whether you were specifically asked about a recent *deal* that *Macfarlenes* was involved in? Or any commercial article would work?
    It was any deal but you would be more sensible to link it back to their private client or corporate work in some way. This is a unique feature of Macfarlanes whereas with other firms you tend to have to sacrifice one for the other. Also, the firm is incredibly profitable as it prioritises profits over revenue.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Likewise. I had to send two emails to get an outcome post TI. If I didn't send the emails asking for an update, I think they'd just ghost me. Moreover, they don't provide feedback post telephone interview. Which is really unfair and weird, as it's an interview and even a few lines of feedback would really help understand what went wrong. I was told by someone to give them a call if they didn't get back to me despite my emails. However, I never called as I knew I'd get a rude answer/reaction from someone. I'm sorry you went through this but the profession is a dog eat dog world and with so much competition and applicants, some firms aren't really bothered by their behaviour. Onwards and upwards!
    Sorry to hear about the experiences with Akin but I would be careful extrapolating impressions you have of a firm through grad rec/emerging talent as one of how associates/colleagues will treat you working there. The experiences you have had are unacceptable but I would implore you both to forgive but not forget. You might very well get through to an AC with Akin if you apply early and given they recruit large numbers. You will have limited exposure to grad rec/emerging talent teams once you are a trainee with the exception of seat rotations/secondments. Very sorry for the experiences but I am wary that you might be shooting yourselves in the foot if you take it too much to heart. I also reject that the profession is dog eat dog, you meet all sorts and I have been a Paralegal for a while. It is a hard profession that should not be unduly glamourised but the experiences you have had here are not indicative of my day to day. Good luck with the rest of the apps.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I was so nervous at an AC that I didn't ask the grad rec a question at the end rip. How f'd am I?
    Er? If you did all the assessments on a day, this does not matter. Your performance on the day in the activities will be collated and your score will determine if you are called back. Don't sweat the small things.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee2024

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.