TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Haven’t heard back from Macfarlanes for their summer AC and everyone’s being handed out ACs, expect a pfo? 🥲

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    After 329382947947 days of rejection ( or cappfinity tests, which will likely result in a rejection), I've been invited to a first stage interview with Goodwin. I would really appreciate any tips, if anyone has any ( or tips for nerves).
    Hey @AB,

Congratulations on obtaining an interview!

Some tips I can give you:
    • The interview is divided into a motivation part and a case study part. The motivation part assesses your motivation to join the firm whilst the case study part is an oral case study where you are presented with a brief scenario and the partners ask you some questions about it.
    • Prepare your motivation questions such as why law, why commercial law specifically and why Goodwin as these can come up. My interview was based on motivation for the most part.
    • Talk to people who did the interview and ask about their experiences. That helped me so much in understanding what I was about to face and it made me feel less nervous during the actual interview.
    • Familiarise yourself with contract law, especially if you are not a law student. Someone I contacted before my interview recommended reading about contract law and their advice was very helpful. I definitely did not remember anything I read but it was nice to mention indemnities and warranties and knowing what they were. Other than that, the interview was not as technical for me.
    • Be yourself in the interview. I personally was myself and I thoroughly enjoyed my interview with the partners so be yourself and answer their questions.
    I hope these helps and good luck with the interview!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    If anyone has tips for Goodwin first stage interview, it would be much appreciated. Is it completely competency based + understanding of the firm? Do they test commercial awareness as well? The email says no preparation needed, so I wonder what kind of questions could be asked.

Hi, @axelbeugre, It would be great if you have any tips :) Thank you
    Congratulations for obtaining the interview!!

Here is a link to the post where I shared some tips on the Goodwin interview. I hope this is helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-164503

Best of luck and congratulations once again!

Reactions: flower

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    I have had such a terrible experience with Akin, I don't think I will apply with them again. I received an email today to say that I had been unsuccessful in my application which was fine but they have still not given me my assessment feedback report after about two weeks. Graduate recruitment asked me if i had received it, last week and said they had my score but still did not give it to me which I found very strange. I responded to the email to ask for my report so I can read it and look at what I can work on and still nothing. I called and the receptionist was so rude, it's dis-heartening. I really do not think it is hard to send me the feedback report if it is in front of you and you can see my score. She asked my name and even signed when I said my last name. More devastated about the behavior than I am about my application. Lol, if something doesn't work out for you consider it a blessing and brush it off because ultimately, there is a reason.
    Likewise. I had to send two emails to get an outcome post TI. If I didn't send the emails asking for an update, I think they'd just ghost me. Moreover, they don't provide feedback post telephone interview. Which is really unfair and weird, as it's an interview and even a few lines of feedback would really help understand what went wrong. I was told by someone to give them a call if they didn't get back to me despite my emails. However, I never called as I knew I'd get a rude answer/reaction from someone. I'm sorry you went through this but the profession is a dog eat dog world and with so much competition and applicants, some firms aren't really bothered by their behaviour. Onwards and upwards!

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    I have had such a terrible experience with Akin, I don't think I will apply with them again. I received an email today to say that I had been unsuccessful in my application which was fine but they have still not given me my assessment feedback report after about two weeks. Graduate recruitment asked me if i had received it, last week and said they had my score but still did not give it to me which I found very strange. I responded to the email to ask for my report so I can read it and look at what I can work on and still nothing. I called and the receptionist was so rude, it's dis-heartening. I really do not think it is hard to send me the feedback report if it is in front of you and you can see my score. She asked my name and even signed when I said my last name. More devastated about the behavior than I am about my application. Lol, if something doesn't work out for you consider it a blessing and brush it off because ultimately, there is a reason.
    I haven't heard from Akin regarding the outcome of my assessment yet, but honestly I had a similar experience with Akin's receptionist being quite rude. I'm sorry you haven't been able to get the feedback report given the sheer effort that Akin's test requires. I would say just give it some time, grad rec is generally not that responsive and I'm sure they'll get back to you eventually.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Likewise. I had to send two emails to get an outcome post TI. If I didn't send the emails asking for an update, I think they'd just ghost me. Moreover, they don't provide feedback post telephone interview. Which is really unfair and weird, as it's an interview and even a few lines of feedback would really help understand what went wrong. I was told by someone to give them a call if they didn't get back to me despite my emails. However, I never called as I knew I'd get a rude answer/reaction from someone. I'm sorry you went through this but the profession is a dog eat dog world and with so much competition and applicants, some firms aren't really bothered by their behaviour. Onwards and upwards!
    It's appalling, I really didn't expect it from a firm like that but I am also grateful that I was able to witness it early on. Agreed, onwards & upwards!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.