TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I was so nervous at an AC that I didn't ask the grad rec a question at the end rip. How f'd am I?
    Er? If you did all the assessments on a day, this does not matter. Your performance on the day in the activities will be collated and your score will determine if you are called back. Don't sweat the small things.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee2024

anon12

Jan 8, 2024
    Omg stoppp. It's even funnier that you've called them "Davis and Polk" here and not Davis Polk. Ur hilarious. Oh well, they only take 6 trainees. Goodluck with the rest of your apps.
    Wait they're called Davis polk woops lol, you have so much on your mind such as exams, application, interviews, my mind just forgets stuff 😂 . I couldn't even had accepted the vac scheme if I got in since I accepted another one anyway.

J53

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    For a cover letter that is included in the application form do I need to say the phrase " and I am for the firm's vacation scheme " where I introduce myself and my degree?
    I would say it depends how desperate you are on the word count/ do they also do direct TC apps so the person reading knows clearly which one you’re going for.

Giorgos

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 5, 2023
    I would say it depends how desperate you are on the word count/ do they also do direct TC apps so the person reading knows clearly which one you’re going for.
    They do direct TC but its in all hires so I state before if I'm applying for the vs route or direct TC route. I am not that desperate for these words but I would like to use them on something more important.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was so nervous at an AC that I didn't ask the grad rec a question at the end rip. How f'd am I?
    If just generally during the day, not at all. If during an interview cut can be a concern if no questions were asked at the end (shows a lack of curiosity) but isn’t necessarily a straight no.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    These ones hurt the most, have been there before. Applied to Trowers & Hamlins last cycle and ended my 'why Trowers?' question with 'and that's why I believe Latham & Watkins will be the best firm for my professional development'.
    Good 10%+ of applications are copy and paste and will have another firm’s name in.

Quick tip is to remember where you copied it from and keyword search the document for the old firm’s name.

Same goes for if you spell the firm’s name incorrectly and want to ensure all other spellings are correct.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.